[Az-Geocaching] (no subject)

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 15:38:35 MST 2005

Howdy all,

I very rarely EVER have WAAS turned on. I always thought my GPS's were
accurate enough to get me to a cache without it, so I just simply never
turned it on! I really didnt notice that much difference with or without
WAAS. Now, if I stood in a location, marked a waypoint, walked away and came
back... yea, I would say with WAAS on that I got a bit better accuracy. But,
when dealing with numerous factors involved in geocaching (the cache owners
GPS accuracy or my own), the coordinate arent going to be 'right on'
anyways. Now, I dont know how much more battery the WAAS feature turned on
takes... but I know the manual says I save battery life with it off, so I
just always kept it off!

Curious to know if anyone has really tested the results of battery life with
WAAS and without it. Does it make that big of a difference? Does WAAS on
really use alot more battery power?

Now, with my 60C.. battery usage is not an issue. It gets nearly 30 hours on
two new AA batteries!

Of course, as Scotti mentioned, you could go get some rechargables and never
have to worry about battery life! Just recharge them! :)  I have seen some
good deals on NmH batteries and charger sets (usually 4 batts and a
charger). I have been wanting to get a set of NmH for a while now. But, I am
stil using these old NiCads from 3 years ago!!!!!!!!  They dont last nearly
as long as they used to, but they still work!!! So I havent been motivated
enough to buy new batteries yet! :) LOL

Scott
Team Ropingthewind