[Az-Geocaching] Rattlesnakes

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 19:14:29 -0700 (MST)

Well, Gecko, most of what was said is sound advice, (expect anything
to do with "squeezing" or "sucking" a bite...DON'T do that! Don't put
ice on, or do ANYTHING that could cause further local tissue damage.)

The most important principle is the most obvious, do ALL you can to
avoid a bite. By the way, Dan and I chuckled at your "shoe" mishap!

Therefore, it might help if all the previous verbiage is summarized
into a few easier to remember steps:

1. Tred "noisily" when you are anywhere a snake can be (a walking
stick is great for poking the ground ahead). DO NOT put your hands
anyplace you can't clearly see.

2. If you see or hear a snake, STOP and back off slowly. Enjoy the
close up view of this fascinating and often quite beautiful creature!
Watch for a second snake. (How do ya think little snakes appear? :-)

3. Good boots and long pants/jeans are always a good idea, for snakes
and cactus and brush and bushwhacking and other nasty things.

4. If you are bitten, DON'T PANIC. Get to medical help ASAP.

Something most people don't realize or think about: Try to remember
what the snake looks like. Western D'Back and Mohaves have a black and
white striped "coon-tail" at the rattle, with the black bands being
smaller that the white in the Mohave. (They are properly called Mohave
Rattlesnakes, not "Mohave Greens".) It is important to know this
distinction around this area where Mohaves are found, because their
venom is more neurotoxic (both are hemotoxic). Means it can cause more
respiratory and other problems. It's nice if the medical folks know
this, but not absolutely needed.

It used to be recommended to kill the snake and bring it with you in a
bag; anti-venin can be sub-species specific so it helps if the ER
knows which rattlesnake. I don't think they recommend that anymore,
both for your protection (you have to get close to it to kill it) and
for the snakes' (many are Federally protected). This actually became a
factor once in San Diego, I was working in the ER and we had a young
man come in who was bitten in the leg. He had killed the snake and
brought it in, it was a Crotalus ruber (red rattlesnake). Because of
my reptile experience I was able to assess and document the signs and
symptoms of his envenomation. He was active duty Navy, so they came to
pick him up and treat him. That's my best snake story, the look on my
co-workers' faces when I took the bag, peered in and said "Hm, a red
rattlesnake, Crotalus ruber...." and began to write....was priceless!
I guess most people think "girls" don't know anything about and are
thoroughly frightened by all snakes. Not true....I have a healthy
respect for them, not fear.

Last year I literally ran into a large W DBack in Black Canyon City
while geocaching. We were right on the Agua Fria and he was right
there in the rocks. Announced his presence and disappeared under the
rocks, too bad he left before my hubby could get a picture!

Stay safe out there,
Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:38:25 -0700, "SquishyGecko" wrote:

> Well that was fun.  I went, I saw my first rattlesnake, I came home.
> During
> the drive out there I was thinking about rattlesnake recipes.  During
> the
> drive back the snake was undoubtedly thinking about gecko recipes.
> I'd like
> to say I came away from this episode without injury, but
unfortunately