[Az-Geocaching] Rattlesnakes

PATRICK FINLEY listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 18:08:27 -0700

From: EvilFISH
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 4:43 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Rattlesnakes

Jim there be inflation in your words...

that be more than .02 worth :)

----- Original Message ----- =20
From: "Jim Scotti" <jscotti@pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU>
To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 2:33 PM

> Here's my rattlesnake $0.02.  First, the statistic I've heard is that
> something like 90% of snakebites are due to the moron actually trying t=
> interact with the snake.  Keep in mind that the snake can only jump abo=
ut
its
> own length, so if you give it plenty of room, you should be safe, even =
if
you
> have to walk past it.  Also, most snake bites are dry.  The snake actua=
lly
> has to be in contact and squeezing, I think, to inject venim (but that
> shouldn't slow you down from seeking medical attention if bit....).  In
all
> the years I've been out and about, I've never seen a live rattler on th=
> trail.  My wife saw one once (but by the time I caught up to her and it=
> location, it was gone), and I've seen them in the road a couple times,
most
> recently last summer up near Toroweap Overlook when we saw one in the d=
irt
> road within a mile of the ranger station there.  It was in the middle o=
the
> road, so I got out of the car after stopping about 15 or 20 feet short =
of
the
> snake, took a couple pictures (the best with the zoom, of course), then=
> tossed some small rocks generally at it to get it to move off the road =
so
we
> wouldn't run over it.  I never got closer than about 12-15 feet and we =
did
> get some decent pix too.  Other "signs" of a rattler besides the sounds
> mentioned by others is that you can sometimes see the trail of a snake
(don't
> know if it was a rattler, though it was "S" shaped going down a wash on=
time
> while out in the wilds when I saw that a couple years ago - while
> "Geodashing", BTW.  The snake trail was within a few hundred meters of =
the
> dashpoint, though it did not log its earlier visit to the dashpoint on =
the
> internet, so I got credit for the first arrival.... :-) ).
>
> I've been known to leave snake bite kits in geocaches from time to time=

> They can be found at most camping stores or even WalMart for only a cou=
ple
> bucks and are usually yellow rubber and have some instructions inside a=
nd
are
> used to suck the venim out.  Not sure how useful they are, but I suspec=
the
> best thing to do is to seek medical help as soon as possible in any cas=
e.
> Better yet, give the snake a wide berth - it is more likely to be more
afraid
> of you than you are of it and usually, you will see or hear it long bef=
ore
> you get within striking distance.  It's also a good idea to keep your e=
yes
> and ears open, especially with kids or pets since they don't know the
rules
> of dealing with snakes (though I have heard of anti-snake training for
> dogs...).
>
> Jim.
>
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, SquishyGecko wrote:
>
> > While reading the logs for GCJFPP, I noticed that the first two peopl=
> > attempt this cache saw "signs" of a rattlesnake ahead.  Being from a
> > place where rattlesnakes aren't a huge issue, and being accident pron=
> > (I've had two cactus incidents while caching so far, one pierced a
> > muscle), I'm wondering just what exactly the signs of a rattlesnake i=
> > the area are, other than the obvious rattle.
> >
> > Also, I've been searching the internet for information about how to d=
eal
> > with a rattlesnake bite, and so far there doesn't seem to be much oth=
er
> > than to keep the wound below the heart, don't cut it open or use a
> > tournequette, and call for help.  Anyone have any other suggestions?
> >
> > If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, it's probably 'cause I'm going=
> > attempt GCJFPP this afternoon, and Mr. Rattlesnake might decide to ea=
> > me.
> >
> > Signed,
> > Dumb Desert Dipstick :-)
>
> Jim Scotti
> Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
> University of Arizona
> Tucson, AZ 85721 USA                 http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscott=
i/

> http://www.azgeocaching.com

Arizona's Geocaching Resource
http://www.azgeocaching.com

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C441BA.1C96E4B0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I've been read=
ing all the messages about rattlesnakes, and decided to tell about my rec=
ent brush with a rattler at Sprockets 12 Step&nbsp; cache. I was searchin=
g around step #9 when I stepped on something a bit "squishy". (not Gecko)=
I took another step and heard an odd "buzzing" sound. I looked down to s=
ee a 3' rattler. After jumping backwards and saying some nasty words, I s=
aw the snake slither into a packrat's nest. I'm not sure why he/she didn'=
t strike and bite, but I was extremely glad that didn't happen. I don't k=
now if I stepped on his head, or close to it, and he couldn't strike at m=
e, or if he was just lethargic. I was also surprised that it sounded more=
 like a buzzing than a "rattling" sound. I have to admit, I'm a little mo=
re careful now when I look around cache sites. By the way, don't let this=
 stop anybody from looking for Sprockets cache.I posted a note just as a =
head's up, if anybody was looking for the cache at that time.............=
........Flatiron</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RI=
GHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px s=
olid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original =
Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; =
COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> EvilFISH</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"=
><B>Sent:</B> Monday, May 24, 2004 4:43 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt=
 Arial"><B>To:</B> listserv@azgeocaching.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10=
pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Az-Geocaching] Rattlesnakes</DIV> <DIV>&nb=
sp;</DIV>Jim there be inflation in your words...<BR><BR><BR><BR>that be m=
ore than .02 worth :)<BR><BR><BR><BR>----- Original Message ----- <BR>Fro=
m: "Jim Scotti" &lt;jscotti@pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU&gt;<BR>To: &lt;listserv@=
azgeocaching.com&gt;<BR>Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 2:33 PM<BR>Subject: Re=
: [Az-Geocaching] Rattlesnakes<BR><BR><BR>&gt; Here's my rattlesnake $0.0=
2.&nbsp; First, the statistic I've heard is that<BR>&gt; something like 9=
0% of snakebites are due to the moron actually trying to<BR>&gt; interact=
 with the snake.&nbsp; Keep in mind that the snake can only jump about<BR=
>its<BR>&gt; own length, so if you give it plenty of room, you should be =
safe, even if<BR>you<BR>&gt; have to walk past it.&nbsp; Also, most snake=
 bites are dry.&nbsp; The snake actually<BR>&gt; has to be in contact and=
 squeezing, I think, to inject venim (but that<BR>&gt; shouldn't slow you=
 down from seeking medical attention if bit....).&nbsp; In<BR>all<BR>&gt;=
 the years I've been out and about, I've never seen a live rattler on the=
<BR>&gt; trail.&nbsp; My wife saw one once (but by the time I caught up t=
o her and its<BR>&gt; location, it was gone), and I've seen them in the r=
oad a couple times,<BR>most<BR>&gt; recently last summer up near Toroweap=
 Overlook when we saw one in the dirt<BR>&gt; road within a mile of the r=
anger station there.&nbsp; It was in the middle of<BR>the<BR>&gt; road, s=
o I got out of the car after stopping about 15 or 20 feet short of<BR>the=
<BR>&gt; snake, took a couple pictures (the best with the zoom, of course=
), then I<BR>&gt; tossed some small rocks generally at it to get it to mo=
ve off the road so<BR>we<BR>&gt; wouldn't run over it.&nbsp; I never got =
closer than about 12-15 feet and we did<BR>&gt; get some decent pix too.&=
nbsp; Other "signs" of a rattler besides the sounds<BR>&gt; mentioned by =
others is that you can sometimes see the trail of a snake<BR>(don't<BR>&g=
t; know if it was a rattler, though it was "S" shaped going down a wash o=
ne<BR>time<BR>&gt; while out in the wilds when I saw that a couple years =
ago - while<BR>&gt; "Geodashing", BTW.&nbsp; The snake trail was within a=
 few hundred meters of the<BR>&gt; dashpoint, though it did not log its e=
arlier visit to the dashpoint on the<BR>&gt; internet, so I got credit fo=
r the first arrival.... :-) ).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I've been known to leave s=
nake bite kits in geocaches from time to time.<BR>&gt; They can be found =
at most camping stores or even WalMart for only a couple<BR>&gt; bucks an=
d are usually yellow rubber and have some instructions inside and<BR>are<=
BR>&gt; used to suck the venim out.&nbsp; Not sure how useful they are, b=
ut I suspect<BR>the<BR>&gt; best thing to do is to seek medical help as s=
oon as possible in any case.<BR>&gt; Better yet, give the snake a wide be=
rth - it is more likely to be more<BR>afraid<BR>&gt; of you than you are =
of it and usually, you will see or hear it long before<BR>&gt; you get wi=
thin striking distance.&nbsp; It's also a good idea to keep your eyes<BR>=
&gt; and ears open, especially with kids or pets since they don't know th=
e<BR>rules<BR>&gt; of dealing with snakes (though I have heard of anti-sn=
ake training for<BR>&gt; dogs...).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Jim.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; O=
n Mon, 24 May 2004, SquishyGecko wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; While readin=
g the logs for GCJFPP, I noticed that the first two people<BR>to<BR>&gt; =
&gt; attempt this cache saw "signs" of a rattlesnake ahead.&nbsp; Being f=
rom a<BR>&gt; &gt; place where rattlesnakes aren't a huge issue, and bein=
g accident prone<BR>&gt; &gt; (I've had two cactus incidents while cachin=
g so far, one pierced a<BR>&gt; &gt; muscle), I'm wondering just what exa=
ctly the signs of a rattlesnake in<BR>&gt; &gt; the area are, other than =
the obvious rattle.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Also, I've been searching t=
he internet for information about how to deal<BR>&gt; &gt; with a rattles=
nake bite, and so far there doesn't seem to be much other<BR>&gt; &gt; th=
an to keep the wound below the heart, don't cut it open or use a<BR>&gt; =
&gt; tournequette, and call for help.&nbsp; Anyone have any other suggest=
ions?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, it=
's probably 'cause I'm going to<BR>&gt; &gt; attempt GCJFPP this afternoo=
n, and Mr. Rattlesnake might decide to eat<BR>&gt; &gt; me.<BR>&gt; &gt;<=
BR>&gt; &gt; Signed,<BR>&gt; &gt; Dumb Desert Dipstick :-)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt=
; Jim Scotti<BR>&gt; Lunar &amp; Planetary Laboratory<BR>&gt; University =
of Arizona<BR>&gt; Tucson, AZ 85721 USA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; http://www=
lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ______________________________=
aching<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Arizona's Geocaching Resource<BR>&gt; http://www.a=