[Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:33:58 -0700

> I totally understand the thing about getting permission
> before placing a
> cache. I totally agree with that and I will indeed seek
> permission before
> ever placing a cache again.

Thank you.

> I would also like to find out if
> there is one of
> these sites anywhere's near my cache.

If your cache is in Tonto NF, call the ranger station for the district
in which your cache is located and tell them about the cache and where
it is. They should be able to check into it for you. Tonto just happens
to be one of the few public places where we don't really *need*
permission, but as Forest Archaeologist Scott Wood said, "It doesn't
hurt to stop in at the ranger station and let them know your plans".

> My thoughts were what
> if I am simply
> out hiking one day (geocache seeking or otherwise) and I
> stumble upon one of
> these sites, which I dont know is a site. That is my concern.

I'm speaking out of turn here, but I'd have a hard time believing that
they'd prosecute anyone for accidentally damaging a site, particularly
if it isn't obvious to the untrained eye.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena