[Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:24:25 -0800

>From: "Team Tierra Buena" <teamtierrabuena@earthlink.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited
>Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:55:48 -0700
>The problem with that, Scott, is that once the location of an
>archaeological site is made public, by any medium, you are signing that
>site's death warrant. There are still plenty of pothunters and other
>unscrupulous people who will think nothing of devastating that site in
>hopes of finding saleable artifacts (and sadly, there is enough of a
>market for those artifacts to make the risks worthwhile to some). And
>that is the "Catch-22" of the site stewards. If the archaeological site
>locations are kept secret, they risk accidental damage by those of us
>who don't realize what we're walking on. If the site locations are made
>available, they risk deliberate destruction.
>
>The solution, as Libby so well stated earlier, is to get permission to
>place the cache. If we ask first, the land managers/site stewards have
>an opportunity to assess if the area we want to use is at risk, and tell
>us if it's a problem, without compromising the locations of specific
>archaeological sites. And if asking permission becomes the practice I
>believe Geocaching's detractors and any "controversy" surrounding our
>game would go away.
>
>Steve
>Team Tierra Buena

Steve,

I totally understand the thing about getting permission before placing a
cache. I totally agree with that and I will indeed seek permission before
ever placing a cache again. I would also like to find out if there is one of
these sites anywhere's near my cache. My thoughts were what if I am simply
out hiking one day (geocache seeking or otherwise) and I stumble upon one of
these sites, which I dont know is a site. That is my concern.

Scott
Team RTW