[Az-Geocaching] Caching Group

Team Tierra Buena ttbuena at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:29:39 MST 2008

> If a statewide org is not possible due to distances, different concerns,
etc. then perhaps a "Regional Caching Support" site could be set up? The aim
would be to provide information and guidance to the various groups in the
state.

> For example an online database of the different rules in AZ for the
different land types. Contact information for permission to place caches,
etc. The org could also provide any necessary forms for applying to place a
cache.

> So rather than representing anyone, just a central repository of
information that helps regional groups to function.

Andy,

I agree. If there are going to be successful organizations in Arizona, they
need to be regional. And there are some groups in the state that have shown
that to be true.

As for the online database you propose, http://www.geocachingpolicy.org has
been trying to do just that for four or five years now, not just for Arizona
but for the US and Canada. The problem is that gc.com, for whatever reason,
will have none of it, so the site has generally languished, though it has
been quite successful in Iowa. Thanks to the efforts of the Iowa Geocaching
Organization (IGO), some 60 of the state's 99 county conservation boards
list their caching policies there as well as the state Department of Natural
Resource and one or two municipalities. By contrast, Arizona has about five
listings statewide.

The site will list policies, contact information, and forms for download for
any verifiable agency or facility. All the posted data is searchable. And it
represents no one. All that has been missing (other than support from
gc.com, and that battle has already been fought and lost) are the
submissions and the people to do the toil -- data entry, "marketing", etc.

You've got your database; now, who will get the data?

Steve
Team Tierra Buena