[Az-Geocaching] Best Route

Bill Nolan bill at freeholder.com
Wed Jun 20 05:30:55 MST 2007

Hey, in Arizona you can at least choose your climate for the day.  I lived in the Fort Meyers, FL area for a year.  Summer meant temp and humidity both in the mid 90s.  I’d rather have 110 in the desert.  Plus, in Florida you can drive 100 miles and it’s still pretty much the same.  Here, 100 miles will put you in a completely different climate.  Often 25 or 50 miles will do it.  On the same day, Phoenix might be 110, Tucson 105, Willcox (4200’) about 95, and Flagstaff in the 80s.  From where I am, 50 miles puts me at Riggs Lake on Mt. Graham, trout fishing in a spruce forest at 80, while it’s 40 degrees hotter than that in the low desert.  Luckily I like the warm, so the desert temps are fine with me, but I still enjoy the cool mountains from time to time.

In the winter it’s just the opposite.  Enjoy an 80 degree day in Phoenix, or drive an hour and go skiing.  Try that in Florida.

Bill in Willcox