[Az-Geocaching] Best Route

Jake Olson jake.teamai at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 11:30:29 MST 2007

On average traffic days I save 10 minutes by going through Globe instead of
Payson to get from Show Low to Mesa.  The drawback is that you leave the
pine trees sooner going to Globe.

A note for you other travelers going that route.  The restroom facilities at
the restaurants Payson have way fewer stalls in the ladies rooms.  I'm
usually traveling with women who don't like waiting in lines after long
drives, so I'm forced to go through Globe so they don't have an additional
wait.

If you haven't gone through Salt River Canyon once in your life, I think
you're missing out.  If you stop at the rest stop that's about half way down
on the south side, you'll find a bunch of rocks that have lots of
petroglyphs. A few have been mutilated by other travelers, but if you take a
few more steps down the trail, you'll find there's more that are really
nice.  Also, in the summer the Native Americans usually have a few blankets
laid out with jewelry for sale at the rest stop at the bottom of the
canyon.  There's GCK160 cache on the old bridge at the bottom of the canyon
too.  But if you don't like twisty roads, stay away from this route.  The
only highway that's worse than this one in AZ is the road between
Springerville and Morenci.

I agree that going to Flagstaff is really a waste unless you have a specific
reason to make such a large loop.  If your destination was in the west
valley, Flagstaff is a great route.  But from Deer Valley Road all the way
to Meridian, you'll be wishing you'd avoided it, especially if you get to
town during a rush hour.

The alternates through Show Low and Payson are on well maintained roads,
that are patrolled by DPS.

Which ever way you choose to go, I hope you have a nice trip.

Jake - Team A.I.