[Az-Geocaching] Best Route

thewiners thewiners at cox.net
Sat Jun 16 10:34:02 MST 2007

We've made the drive to/from Gallup many times and live in the East Valley.  Due to the longer distance and how far to the east side AJ is, you'll be much better off (~45min-1hr) taking either the Holbrook/87 route or Show Low route rather than Flagstaff.  The highways are relatively fast, and I-17 plus navigating eastward across the valley gets slower every year.  Our preferred route is Heber/Payson, but I'm betting the Show Low route is the shortest if you're going to AJ, although as someone mentioned you will have to navigate a curvy road near the end of your trip.  I'm assuming it's telling you to go Holbrook, down the 77 to Show Low, then on the 60 into AJ.

If you choose the Holbrook route, you need to watch extra carefully for elk for the 30 miles west of Heber towards Payson (elk is everywhere, but it seems particularly thick there), and I would suggest you turn on the Bush Highway from the 87 to cut over to AJ instead of taking the 87 all the way into town.  Not sure if the map took you that way, or if it recommended all the way to Gilbert or Country Club on the 87.

The Winers