[Az-Geocaching] Accuracy of GPS's

Steven Stringham sstringh at stringham-family.org
Fri Sep 8 03:21:00 MST 2006

In the Garmin series, especially the Etrex series (I have had a couple -
the Venture: Green and the Vista: Silver) the patch antennas between
them give you about the same accuracy and sensitivity (or ability to see
satellites).

The more Sats, the better (generally) accuracy.

I also have had the 60cs and currently have the 60csx. The external
antenna on the 60cs was better at picking up Sats than the Etrex units.
But not a whole lot better.

But, the newer antenna on the 60csx is very sensitive. I was never able
to get any of the Etrex or the 60cs to work very well inside of my
minivan with the electronics package on the ceiling blocking signals.
But, the 60csx is not bothered at all by it. Inside of BOB (Chase Field)
I with the roof closed, I got nothing with the other units, but the
60csx gets multiple Sats. This is also the same under heavy tree cover.

But, there is a large difference in price from the legend (blue) to the
60csx. Is it worth it? I like the my unit. But, I like my bells and
whistles. The blue etrex is a pretty nice unit. Especially if you are
starting out. As Jake said, they all get you within 15-30'. And,
remember, your accuracy does not reflect the cache owner's accuracy. So,
if they are using a bit "less acurrate" unit (say +-20'), and are off by
say 20', a more accurate unit (say +-10') is not going help much, but
may rather put you 30' off (the wrong distance +- an additional 10').
So, you have to start to think like the cache owner when you are hunting
ones like that and expand the search radius.

Good luck.
Steven Stringham
StringCachers