[Az-Geocaching] RE: Ebay

Bill Nolan bill at freeholder.com
Thu Feb 10 08:22:46 MST 2005

I have usually been able to find anything I wanted at a bargain price on
Ebay -- eventually.  If you are in a hurry, you may want to make another
choice, but if you aren't, keep trying.  I don't want to waste a lot of time
and angst on the bidding process, so when I see something I want, I just go
ahead and bid what I am willing to pay.  Sure, sometimes someone comes along
and outbids me right at the end, but I don't care, because I have already
bid what I was willing to pay, and I'm not going higher anyway.  If I don't
get it, I just bid my price on another one.  As long as my price isn't
totally unreasonable, I will win one eventually.

There is a difference of opinion on sniping (bidding at the last moment).
Some swear by it and believe that you get better prices that way.  Others
don't think it makes any difference, except the psychological satisfaction
of trying to "snatch" something at the last moment.  Do it if it makes you
feel better.  There is no evidence one way or the other as to whether it
works.  One person will tell you it does, and the next person will tell you
it doesn't.  Scientists are rightfully very skeptical of this kind of
evidence, which is called "anecdotal."  I can tell you that I don't think it
helps at all, but that is no more meaningful than someone else telling you
that it is the only way to go.

If you buy on Ebay, do pay attention to the feedback of the seller before
you bid.  If their number is low, you are taking a chance on an unknown
quantity.  If they have some negatives, read them to see what sort of
problems others have had.  I have done several hundred transactions on Ebay,
both as a buyer and seller, and have never had a serious problem.  That
doesn't mean you won't, so be cautious.

Bill in Willcox