[Az-Geocaching] Explanation and apology

Ken Akerman listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 11:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

Arizona Geocachers,

I am sending out an e-mail to any Arizona geocachers to apologize if they have received what they
have interpreted to be "solicitation" calls from a business colleague.  To the best of my
knowledge, only two geocachers have received calls.  Please understand that I have been under some
financial problems and I have not been working regularly since I lost my job in early November, so
I am simply trying to find entrepreneurial ways to earn a living and get out of debt.

First of all, I did not believe what I did was wrong.  Ron Adams, who is a manager in this
business who has been doing this for more than five years, is working with me to help me start
some part-time business work which may involve some sales and financial consultation.  In order to
do this, Ron or I needs to contact people to arrange appointments.  I understand that not everyone
will be willing to meet with me, but how I am supposed to know unless Ron or I contact them?

I had communicated with "SquishyGecko" several times via e-mail, and I was under the impression
we had an amicable relationship and that my communications with him were cordial.  He had sent out
his phone number to me via e-mail, and on at least one occasion, he had urged me to call him.  I
am starting work on this part-time job, and my supervisor, Ron Adams, asked me to prepare a list
of
people in the local area that I know, with telephone numbers, that he could call to arrange
training appointments for me.  I looked through the numbers stored in my cell phone, and
"SquishyGecko" appeared and appeared to be a good contact.  Since I did not have any reason to
presume that this person would act adversely, I added him to the list.

I did not know what I would be doing would be misconstrued or misinterpreted.  Neither Ron Adams
nor I were trying to sell anything.  Most of the other people that Ron or I have contacted in this
endeavor have responded in a positive manner, and no one else has responded in the hostile manner
that "SquishyGecko" has done.

I apologize for any misunderstanding that this has caused.  I am only trying to earn an honest
living and help people.

I addition, I would like to request that any and all personal attacks on the listserv, directed
against me or anyone else, cease immediately.  I am a member of some other distribution lists, and
none of them have displayed the level of personal attacks and the amount of flaming as I have seen
on this distribution group. In the past month, I have made a personal commitment to refrain from
making my personal opinions known to all on this list, so I hope others will do the same.

If anyone has a problem with me, then I recommend that they contact me directly.  Please do not
send out your personal opinions about me or anyone else in the geocaching community to the entire
distribution group.  Comments about caches, travel bugs, and other things directly related to
geocaching are okay, but personal attacks are inappropriate and disrespectful.  If you would like
to speak with me, then I will provide my cell phone number on request.  If you feel that it is not
important enough for you to speak with me about it directly, then it is not important enough for
you to send it out to everyone on the distribution list.

Sincerely,

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)