?Re: [Az-Geocaching] Use of Geocaching.com for commercial solicitation

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 05:53:46 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C44541.4E613240

Okay gang, it's time to put "Primerica" and "Ron Adams" out of business. =
 Here's the address where you can file a complaint for those who violate =
the "National Do Not Call Registry."

https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx =20

Rand (RandMan) =20

----- Original Message -----
From: David Thompsen
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 11:51 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: ?Re: [Az-Geocaching] Use of Geocaching.com for commercial so=
licitation

If the company that the caller in question is Primerica, the scenario is =
much clearer to me.  =20

Primerica is a "multi-level marketing" company in the mold of Amway/Quixt=
ar or Mary Kay, except they sell insurance and financial services.  As ma=
ny people out there, likely including some that subscribe to this list, p=
articipate in companies like this, I'm going to try really hard to be eve=
n-handed so as not to offend.

MLMs rely upon recruiting other people below you to profit on a portion o=
f their sales in addition to the income generated by your own sales.  Unf=
ortunately, MLMs usually offer products and services at substantially hig=
her prices than can be gotten by shopping around, be it insurance or cosm=
etics.

A harsher view would say that MLMs are a shade away from pyramid schemes,=
 which are illegal.

The caller in question, regardless of his initial reason for calling, sou=
nded like yet another familiar predatory telemarketer at best, and more l=
ikely looking for additional recruits and sales than to get a reference.

Regardless, it is certainly foolish for someone to use members of  the Ar=
izona Geocaching community without their consent, for references or for d=
irect marketing ---particularly if you may not have been on your best beh=
avior lately.

"You better THINK!" -- A. Franklin

George Harris <george@customcals.com> wrote:
I'm a little confused at this scenario. Was this a genuine character
reference call, or was the caller using the "character reference" comment=
get his foot in the door, with the only purpose to see insurance?

----- Original Message ----- =20