[Az-Geocaching] Rattlesnakes

Bill listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 15:14:24 -0700

OK, here's the skinny on rattlesnakes.

First, they often do not rattle, so don't count on that.  The defense is to
be observant.  They blend well, so look closely enough that you don't miss
them.  They won't chase you, but they think their best defense is to remain
motionless, so they will stay right there until you step on them.  Also,
they hide under things, especially during the heat of the day, so be careful
where you put your hands.  There are a lot of critters under stones and logs
besides rattlesnakes here in Arizoan.  You may find scorpions, black widows,
centipedes (they can really bite) or brown recluse spiders.

If you do get bit by a rattlesnake, there is no IMMEDIATE danger.  It isn't
like a mamba or something, and you aren't going to die in a few minutes.  It
will be painful, but there is plenty of time to get to medical help.

Rattlesnake venom causes mostly tissue necrosis, and that takes time.  Try
to keep from exercising as much as possible and get to a hospital, where
they will administer anti-venin.  The reason for not having someone suck on
the wound has nothing to do with them being poisoned.  The venom doesn't
penetrate the skin and is not even dangerous in an open wound.  The problem
is that it doesn't really do any good, and the germs in the mouth of the
person doing the sucking will just add infection to your snakebite wound.

Rattlesnakes have complete control over how much venom they inject, so a
bite from a really angry snake is likely to be more severe than one from a
snake that is just moody.  That means that a bite you get after harassing
the snake for a while will be more serious, so don't do that.

Snakesbites are rare, and most happen when the person is messing with the
snake.  The fatality rate is very low among those who are bitten, and most
fatalities are small children.  Still, it pays to be careful.

Also, remember that several species of rattlesnakes are endangered and
completely protected.  If you harass one of them, the fine is pretty high.

If there is anything else you want to know about rattlesnakes, just ask.  My
direct email address is bill@willcox.net.

Bill