[Az-Geocaching] Benchmarks

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 06 May 2004 21:11:53 -0700

>From: Gale <sonoralovesmommy@yahoo.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Benchmarks
>Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 20:21:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I love hunting for benchmarks. We have approx 80 benchmarks in our count.
>Some are dull and were not fun to find, but many have interestng
>placements, history or were just fun in other ways to locate. Our cache,
>Lonesome Bush is near a benchmark from the 1960's that was part of an
>aerial mapping project. We searched for the benchmarks that were part of
>that project. In this case, they can even be seen from the aerial
>photgraphs. (They were in the center of large concrete crosses). Looking
>for them requires a different mindset. They are not intentionally hidden,
>but the coordinates and description can make the search easy or difficult.
>Of the benchmarks weve claimed, there were easily 3-4 times that many we
>found that were not in the data base. And so many we looked for and couldnt
>find. Personally, I like looking for them. Squishy, come out to Apache
>Junction, on the road to canyon lake, and grab a couple of geocaches and
>check out the benchmarks we found there. That might be !
>a good
>way for you to get started. Or go check out our Lonesome Bush
> >http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6d6ac28b-2223-4855-ae20->283eecb62368
>and see the benchmark
>http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?>PID=CZ2333 next to it. The
>benchmark page has some photos on it.
> >http://img.groundspeak.com/benchmark/lg/39223_200.jpg Sorry for the
>shameless plug.

I have never logged a find on a benchmark before... but, I have seen a good
number of them in my geocache travels. They are quite interesting. I think
the most unique and interesting benchmark I have ever seen is near the
Lonesome Bush Cache... which Gale mentioned above. That cement X on the
benchmark can be seen from rather high in the sky! Very interesting
landmark!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind