[Az-Geocaching] GPS cell phones

Rand Hardin rhrdn8 at juno.com
Mon Dec 27 12:21:03 MST 2004

Scott (Amarillo...[uh, I mean Mesa Slim ;-)]) and Bob,

I came in a little late on the radio program, but there was some mention that there is, or there will be a web site for the phone owner to go to to track where their phone is at all times.  This brought a lot of concern to those who are worried about their privacy (spouses tracking one another; bosses tracking their workers, etc.).  There were some who liked the idea so they could keep track of their children.  I kind of like that idea, but knowing most children, they would probably shut their phones off if they knew their parents were monitoring them (my three daughters used to shut off their regular cell phones when they didn't want me checking on them...and used to tell me that they must have been in a bad area [:-)]).

Rand (RandMan)

Scott: (RTW) replied:

I dont think that is what the GPS cell phones are about. They arent for
using as a GPS unit. They have some kind of GPS capabilities built into it.

I was told it is for 911 situations.. so they know exactly where you are.

Brian/Team AI might be able to explain more about this?

Of course, THEY know exactly where you are anytime of day and anyplace as long as the phone is on.. the way I see it. ??? I dont like it. Just another attempt by our wonderful government to control our lives and track us every step of the way, every day.

Scott
Team RTW

From: Robert & Linda Smith

Rand,

A couple of months ago we got the Motorola V60s on Verizon.  I quizzed the kid about the GPS part of the system and he was so vague even when I described our GPS and caching to him.  I don't see where they can have anything in the cell phones that look at all like what we are using for caching.

Bob Smith, Team Petite Elite