[Az-Geocaching] Utah Geocache brings out bomb squad

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:49:47 -0700

If a police officer was told about a suspicious container that appears to be
a PVC tube or an ammo can, near a base, water treatment plant, etc. and the
police officer knows about geocaches, I don't think the officer would just
take a quick look and assume its a geocache. I've seen many times in England
people leaving their shopping bags in a train station and although everyone
is aware that shopping bags exist, they still brought in the bomb squad to
blow it up, just to be on the safe side.

Andy (Groover)

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Jim
Scotti
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 10:37 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Utah Geocache brings out bomb squad

This cache really does look suspicious - particularly because of Team My
Blue
Heaven's having visited it on January 25. :-)  Perhaps Scott can describe
the
area a bit better for us.  Certainly, there might be some geocaches here in
Arizona that might be percieved in a similar light by unknowing witnesses.
I've often wondered if local law enforcement have any idea generally about
geocaches.  I'm sure some officers do, but I would hope that that average
officer might even be made aware of geocaching so that they might recognize
them before a significant event occurs by an unrecognized cache.

Jim.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0226geocaching-bombscare-ON.html

>  I haven't looked, but I'm sure this is out all over the forums; anybody
>  have the details on what cache this is?
>
>  Rob, Team CHUMP

> http://www.azgeocaching.com

> http://www.azgeocaching.com