[Az-Geocaching] Is Shelly at it a again or what?????

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:57:16 -0700

At 08:38 AM 2/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>OK, IMO it is the wrong this to do to boycott the DVRAC until we know the
>whole story.  I am not convinced that this letter to geocaching.com is
>truly from the "higher ups."  I can't imagine that any of our local
>struggling museums would bash something so severely that brings in
>support!  I know

I strongly disagree.  It doesn't matter what the higher ups really feel,
they are not the ones that people are interacting with.  If the people that
you are going to interact with when you visit the area don't want you
there, then you are not going to have a good time.  Let me give you a real
example that happened to me.

When I was still on active duty and was travelling a lot, I would make it a
point to visit any and all National Parks and Monuments that I would be
near.  I spend a month in Alamagordo, New Mexico and spent a lot of time
out in White Sands.  I never had a single friendly ranger approach me while
I was there.  Most of them were very indifferent, which is actually very
different that most of my other experiences in NPs and NMs.  I even had one
of them tell me how disgusted she was that the government would allow "you
people" such open access to "their" park.  She then went on to tell me how
my visiting the park was going to destroy the area forever.

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy about that, and it has really jaded me
about the NPS.  I doubt that I will EVER visit White Sands again.

Same goes for this Deer Valley place.  If the "worker bees" don't want me
there, then I doubt that I will have a good time visiting that
museum.  Remember, I would have to come up from Tucson to visit it so it
would be a special trip, and there is no reason I make a special trip if I
have a pre-concieved notion about the place.  I might as well just go over
the the IMAX and see a movie.

In liberty,

Scott

wood@myblueheaven.com