[Az-Geocaching] Is Shelly at it a again or what?????

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:58:39 -0800

I drove by the DVRAC just yesterday while I was up in the NW valley doing
some caches. I was going to hit that one. I looked at my PDA cache list and
my GPS cache list and couldnt find it. I figured that mabye it was archived
or something. Couldnt think why it would be since it is a virtual cache.
Well, anyways.. I drove away and continued on to the next cache on my list.

I personally would not pay $5.00 to go in there. But, since there was a
geocache 'find' to be had, I would have. I do enjoy that kind of stuff (AZ
history, rocks, nature, etc) but not enough to pay $5 bucks to see it. But,
I WOULD go in there to get a cache find and would certainly enjoy the visit
and leave with a greater knowledge of the exhibits and stuff. Basically,
geocaching has taken me to many places and museums around Arizona that I
would never have visited otherwise. Yea, I enjoyed all those museums and
stuff and took the time to enjoy them and learn... and I do. I don't just
run in, answer the questions for the cache find and leave... I enjoy the
exhibits and stuff and learn something while I am there. But, simply put.. I
wouldnt have ever gone in there otherwise. Geocaching is what brought me to
those places. Anyways, since they don't want me there, I guess they will not
be getting my business (and I certainly would not recommend it to visiting
relatives or anyone else).

I do beleive that the cache owner should have gotten permission to 'place'
this virtual cache first though, even if it was only a virtual. (or did he?)
By posting the coordinates, we are asking the geocaching community to go to
a given location and if there was something of archeological significance
there, then the traffic generated by the posting of the coordinates would be
potentially damaging (whether it is a virtual cache or a physical cache
container). However, since this is a museum of sorts and it is open to the
public AND the fact that it is a virtual cache.. there is nothing damaging
about our being there. However, We need to put ourselves in a non-cachers
shoes and think the way they might think (a rational non cacher that is!)
when placing a cache, physical or virtual. But...

What really irritates me about this whole thing....

All these site stewards and archeological site folks want us (geocachers) to
learn more about these sites and to respect these sites...

here we have an opportunity to visit the DVRAC (thru this virtual cache) and
learn more about these sites and petroglyphs and stuff... and thru the
center, we learn to respect what is left of these fragile sites around
Arizona as well as learn to better identify them... BUT, they don't want us
there!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind