[Az-Geocaching] An important security message

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:06:40 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C2D685.6994F780

Well, here's my .43 on the matter regarding Home Run Country.=20

I was one of the three people who were present at the time the Mesa PD =
helicopter was 'called out'.  First, they were on routine patrol, and =
didn't even so much as go into a brief orbit over the area.  They made a =
casual flyover on their way to a call NE of our location.  However, I =
can understand the concern of the security guard.  While out there, I =
thought it humorous that the cache was on the back of a No Trespassing =
sign, which was to indicate that the area BEHIND the fence was =
off-limits.  Until I read it on the listserv, I had no idea a water =
treatment plant was behind it (wasn't really focusing on the area behind =
the fenceline).  We stood around and chatted for a few (the other =
cachers), and got back into our vehicles and drove out of the field.  =
Apparently, Tsegi Mike (& Desert Viking?) were walking from the parking =
lot as we all left, and called it a day. =20

I'm guessing the air unit thought we were pretty harmless, as no other =
ground units showed up to question us regarding our intentions.  But the =
bottom line is that we all should be conscious of the area(s) in which =
we place a cache.  If an area is private property and a responsible =
party tells you that the cache needs to be removed, it is up to us to =
make that happen. =20

There is one cache in particular that popped up this past week that I =
feel will become an issue once again and may lead to another black eye =
for geocachers.  After being told that the cache was unwanted in the =
area, I e-mailed the cache owner.  The cache was quickly archived, but =
re-created a few days later on the same property, just 500' or so away.  =
The difference is, the cache container is in a location that the =
security guards who raised a stink about the first location could no =
longer see.  While they are unable to see it, the people who drive into =
the property surely do, and I'm sure more than a few of them will notify =
the security guards.  I visited the location, spent a few minutes there =
and didn't feel right about being there, and don't plan on going back to =
log a find...unless the security staff has granted permission.

Brian
Team A.I.
------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C2D685.6994F780

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, here's my .43 on the matter =
regarding Home=20
Run Country.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was one of the three people who were =
present at=20
the time the Mesa PD helicopter was 'called out'.&nbsp; First, they were =
on=20
routine patrol, and didn't even so much as go into a brief orbit over =
the=20
area.&nbsp; They made a casual flyover on their way to a call NE of our=20
location.&nbsp; However, I can understand the concern of the security=20
guard.&nbsp; While out there, I thought it humorous that the cache was =
on the=20
back of a No Trespassing sign, which was to indicate that the area =
BEHIND the=20
fence was off-limits.&nbsp; Until I read it on the listserv, I had no =
idea a=20
water treatment plant was behind it (wasn't really focusing on the area =
behind=20
the fenceline).&nbsp; We stood around and chatted for a few (the other =
cachers),=20
and got back into our vehicles and drove out of the field.&nbsp; =
Apparently,=20
Tsegi Mike (&amp; Desert Viking?) were walking from the parking lot as =
we all=20
left, and called it a day.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm guessing the air unit thought we =
were pretty=20
harmless, as no other ground units showed up to question us regarding =
our=20
intentions.&nbsp; But the bottom line is that we all should be conscious =
of the=20
area(s) in which we place a cache.&nbsp; If an area is private property =
and a=20
responsible party tells you that the cache needs to be removed, it is up =
to us=20
to make that happen.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is one cache&nbsp;in particular =
that popped=20
up this past week that I feel will become an issue&nbsp;once again and =
may lead=20
to another black eye for geocachers.&nbsp; After being told that the =
cache was=20
unwanted in the area, I e-mailed the cache owner.&nbsp; The cache was =
quickly=20
archived, but re-created a few days later on the same property, just =
500' or so=20
away.&nbsp; The difference is, the cache container is in a location that =
the=20
security guards who raised a stink about the first location could no =
longer=20
see.&nbsp; While they are unable to see it, the people who drive into =
the=20
property surely do, and I'm sure more than a few of them will notify the =

security guards.&nbsp; I visited the location, spent a few minutes there =
and=20
didn't feel right about being there, and don't plan on going back to log =
a=20
find...unless the security staff has granted permission.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Team A.I.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C2D685.6994F780--