[Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:12:08 -0800

>From: trisha@brasher.com

>....if the archeological sites are UN-published, how can we
>find out where we can NOT put caches?? Maybe this has already been
>answered in the past few months, if so, I missed it and need to know.
>
>I just placed a couple new caches this month near Prescott (PNF) and I
>have no idea is I was near a sensitive site or not (that's why they
>are unpublished, right, so people won't go there?)
>
>Did the site stewards give us any direction as to how we are supposed
>to find out where we can't place caches? I'm happy to comply with any
>request or law, but I can't be expected to read minds.
>
>Thanks
>Trisha "Lightning"

I very much agree with Trisha on this one. I have contemplated posting this
concern on the list as well. But, have held back until now! :) Some of these
'so-called' archeological sites are SO SUBTLE that they are not even
remotely recognizable by your average Joe (me and 99.9% of the american
population). Only an archeological scientist (or whatever they are called)
would know what they are. Some are nothing more than a scattering of rocks
in the area (by pictures I have seen) and look no different from the other
nearby areas. There is NO WAY a site steward can expect us to know it is an
archeological site.

The plain and simple truth to all this is: IF THESE SITE STEWARDS DONT WANT
US ON THIS GROUNDS.. THEY NEED TO POST SIGNS STATING THIS IS AN
ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE. Period.

I can simply be walking thru the forest/desert and accidentally kick a rock
that was part of history and never even know it. I wouldnt intentionally do
that obviously. Now, if I knew that 100x100' area had historical
significance.. I would gladly walk around it. I dont beleive these areas
should be off limits IF they are on public lands. However, there should be
signs stating "this is an archeological site... please do not destroy or
take anything and leave the area as you found it" or something to that
extent. But, either way. If they want these areas protected.. they should be
signed or simply fenced off to preserve them.

By what I have been reading, I could be fined $100,000 for accidentally
'destroying' an archelogical site by doing nothing more than kicking a rock
that I didn't even know was part of a historical site.

I would, in no way, destroy or de-face in any way an historical site of any
kind. I greatly respect the land and the historical value a piece of land
may hold. I also greatly enjoy Arizona history and enjoy visiting sites and
doing nothing more than standing back and taking it all in. But, as Trisha
said.. we cant be expected to know where all these sites are. Yes, some are
obvious (rock walls, etc) but some are very subtle and don't look any
different than the terrain around them.

The site stewards don't want to post the whereabouts of all these
archeological sites.. but, they CAN at least put signs up around them at the
sites.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind