[Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:37:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi List!

I'm kinda getting into this discussion a couple days down the road,
but I wanted to point out/clarify one point.

First, thanks to Ken and Libby for representing geocaching. Libby, did
you get to do any Prescott caches?

Anyway, my point....Ken brought out that the "officials" should check
the website and email owners of any caches that were too near the
restricted sites that they oversee. Libby mentioned we should police
ourselves. I have no problem with either or both approaches (to make
sure we are not putting caches in "bad" places) but my question is,
and maybe Libby can answer this as she said we should police
ourselves....if the archeological sites are UN-published, how can we
find out where we can NOT put caches?? Maybe this has already been
answered in the past few months, if so, I missed it and need to know.

I just placed a couple new caches this month near Prescott (PNF) and I
have no idea is I was near a sensitive site or not (that's why they
are unpublished, right, so people won't go there?)

Did the site stewards give us any direction as to how we are supposed
to find out where we can't place caches? I'm happy to comply with any
request or law, but I can't be expected to read minds.

Thanks
Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott

I swear, it's getting to the point where I feel like archiving all my
caches and shutting off the computer!!

"Ken" wrote:

> Libby and I went as land stewards to the conservation law enforcement
> seminar held in Prescott Today. Approximately 100-150 officers from
> Game &
> Fish, and various park rangers from the state attended.While there
the
> instructors began discussing Geocaching and how it has had a negative
> impact
> on some archeological sites. My belief is that they formed these
> opinions
> based upon the poorly written article in the Arizona Repulsive.
>
> During this seminar I was able to speak to the various instructors
and
> educate them about our hobby. As a result they gave me some time to
> speak to
> the group and give an impromptu presentation about Geocaching.  I
> encouraged
> the members to check the website and address any of their concerns
> through
> the internet. After making my presentation I had several members
> approach me
> and said that they had changed their minds and do not consider it as
> serious
> a threat as they had been led to believe. I think I left them with a
> positive impression.
>
> The archeological community does have legitimate concerns about
placing
> caches in archeological sites.The consensus of the archeologists is
> that
> placing caches near these sites is extremely damaging. I have learned
> that
> moving objects, i.e.rocks & stuff while hunting for a cache, can
> destroy the
> historical significance of the site. There are severe criminal and
> civil
> penalties that can be assessed if damage is done to these sites.
Since
> there
> are many unpublished archeological sites throughout the state I
> encouraged
> the members of the Conservation Law Enforcement community to log on
the
> Geocaching web site to check there respective areas for caches that
> may be
> placed, or near unknown archeological sites. If you happen to get an
> e-mail
> from one of them requesting you remove a cache, please do so. I
> believe the
> majority of them left with a more positive outlook about our hobby.
>
> Also, I had the opportunity to speak to a Sergeant with the Navajo
> Nation
> Police Department. He told me that they will not allow any geocaches
on
> their lands. If you are caught on their lands without a permit you
can
> be
> arrested. This is just a reminder to please not place any caches on
> tribal
> lands.
>
> It still amazes me how much damage one poorly written and researched
> newspaper article can cause.
>
> Ken
> WhereRwee?
> A.K.A.