[Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited

WOLFB8 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 06:12:27 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_019C_01C2CDA6.B92D1580

>Libby and I went as land stewards to the conservation law enforcement
>seminar held in Prescott Today. Approximately 100-150 officers from =
Game &
>Fish, and various park rangers from the state attended.While there the
>instructors began discussing Geocaching and how it has had a negative =
impact
>on some archeological sites. My belief is that they formed these =
opinions
>based upon the poorly written article in the Arizona Repulsive.=20
Just going to piggyback off of ken letter here
I have to disagree with ken on were there opinion have come from. I =
believe it more from shelly talking to the  land officers. From the =
people I talked to it seemed that the officer from the west valley had =
more negative thing to say than the ones from the east valley.

>During this seminar I was able to speak to the various instructors and
>educate them about our hobby. As a result they gave me some time to =
speak to
>the group and give an impromptu presentation about Geocaching.  I =
encouraged
>the members to check the website and address any of their concerns =
through
>the internet. After making my presentation I had several members =
approach me
>and said that they had changed their minds and do not consider it as =
serious
>a threat as they had been led to believe. I think I left them with a
>positive impression.

Yeppers he did do that

>The archeological community does have legitimate concerns about placing
>caches in archeological sites.The consensus of the archeologists is =
that
>placing caches near these sites is extremely damaging. I have learned =
that
>moving objects, I.e.rocks & stuff while hunting for a cache, can =
destroy the
>historical significance of the site. There are severe criminal and =
civil
>penalties that can be assessed if damage is done to these sites. Since =
there
>are many unpublished archeological sites throughout the state I =
encouraged
>the members of the Conservation Law Enforcement community to log on the
>Geocaching web site to check there respective areas for caches that may =
be
>placed, or near unknown archeological sites. If you happen to get an =
e-mail
>from one of them requesting you remove a cache, please do so. I believe =
the
>nmajority of them left with a more positive outlook about our hobby.

Here again I do not totally agree with Ken.. We all know of caches out =
there at are close to archeological site. I believe that the geocaching =
community needs to police its own. All those they will not be able to =
charge geocacher with a felony the hider and the finders of the cache on =
a archeological can be taken to civil court. Were finds can range into =
the $100K. They would also be able to take all the toys(jeeps ,4x4, GPS) =
used to find the cache. I suggest if you think a cache is on a site do =
not log it, instead remove it, contact the cache owner have them remove =
it. We as cacher can not expect land manager or law enforcement to go =
though all the trouble of logging into geocaching.com and sending us =
little notes.

As a side note here the cache on shaw butt is in the archeological site. =
I was there on Sunday with the manager of the salt river site stewarts. =
As a matter of fact I have been assigned that site and will remove it if =
it is still there the next time I check on that site as I been =
instructed to. (Just toss it in the trash). I know that there are 2 =
caches in the white tanks that are also so on sites

>Also, I had the opportunity to speak to a Sergeant with the Navajo =
Nation
>Police Department. He told me that they will not allow any geocaches on
>their lands. If you are caught on their lands without a permit you can =
be
>arrested. This is just a reminder to please not place any caches on =
tribal
>lands.

The sergeant had a story to tell about a couple of cacher that wee shot =
at while looking for a cache. When they reported it to him they were =
sited for trespassing and told that if the people wanted to kill them =
they would have.

>It still amazes me how much damage one poorly written and researched
>newspaper article can cause.

While talking to other stewarts there I found out that all Shelly has to =
do all day is play site stewart. Since her present cause is geocaching =
STILL we need to start getting permittion for caches. I was also =
informed that (forget what national forest) that the national forest =
around Prescott is all for geocaching just like tonto.

BOTTOM LINE DON'T PLACE A CACHE WITH OUT PERMISSION FIRST.

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind
------=_NextPart_000_019C_01C2CDA6.B92D1580

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>&gt;Libby and I=20
went as land stewards to the conservation law enforcement<BR>&gt;seminar =
held in=20
Prescott Today. Approximately 100-150 officers from Game =
&amp;<BR>&gt;Fish, and=20
various park rangers from the state attended.While there =
the<BR>&gt;instructors=20
began discussing Geocaching and how it has had a negative =
impact<BR>&gt;on some=20
archeological sites. My belief is that they formed these =
opinions<BR>&gt;based=20
upon the poorly written article in the Arizona Repulsive. =
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#ff0000>Just going to piggyback off of ken letter=20
here</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3><FONT=20
color=3D#ff0000>I have to disagree with ken on were there opinion have =
come from.=20
I believe it more from shelly talking to the&nbsp; land officers. From =
the=20
people I talked to it seemed that the officer from the west valley had =
more=20
negative thing to say than the ones from the east=20
valley.</FONT><BR><BR>&gt;During this seminar I was able to speak to the =
various=20
instructors and<BR>&gt;educate them about our hobby. As a result they =
gave me=20
some time to speak to<BR>&gt;the group and give an impromptu =
presentation about=20
Geocaching.&nbsp; I encouraged<BR>&gt;the members to check the website =
and=20
address any of their concerns through<BR>&gt;the internet. After making =
my=20
presentation I had several members approach me<BR>&gt;and said that they =
had=20
changed their minds and do not consider it as serious<BR>&gt;a threat as =
they=20
had been led to believe. I think I left them with a<BR>&gt;positive=20
impression.<BR></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
color=3D#ff0000=20
size=3D3>Yeppers he did do that</FONT></FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>
<DIV><BR>&gt;The archeological community does have legitimate concerns =
about=20
placing<BR>&gt;caches in archeological sites.The consensus of the =
archeologists=20
is that<BR>&gt;placing caches near these sites is extremely damaging. I =
have=20
learned that<BR>&gt;moving objects, I.e.rocks &amp; stuff while hunting =
for a=20
cache, can destroy the<BR>&gt;historical significance of the site. There =
are=20
severe criminal and civil<BR>&gt;penalties that can be assessed if =
damage is=20
done to these sites. Since there<BR>&gt;are many unpublished =
archeological sites=20
throughout the state I encouraged<BR>&gt;the members of the Conservation =
Law=20
Enforcement community to log on the<BR>&gt;Geocaching web site to check =
there=20
respective areas for caches that may be<BR>&gt;placed, or near unknown=20
archeological sites. If you happen to get an e-mail<BR>&gt;from one of =
them=20
requesting you remove a cache, please do so. I believe the</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;nmajority of them left with a more positive outlook about our=20
hobby.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2>Here again I do not =
totally agree=20
with Ken.. We all know of caches out there at are close to archeological =
site. I=20
believe that the geocaching community needs to police its own. All those =
they=20
will not be able to charge geocacher with a felony the hider and the =
finders of=20
the cache on a archeological can be taken to civil court. Were finds can =
range=20
into the $100K. They would also be able to take all the toys(jeeps ,4x4, =

GPS)&nbsp;used to find the cache. I suggest if you think a cache is on a =
site do=20
not log it, instead remove it, contact the cache owner have them remove =
it. We=20
as cacher can not expect land manager or law enforcement to go though =
all the=20
trouble of logging into geocaching.com and sending us little =
notes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2>As a side note here the =
cache on shaw=20
butt is in the archeological site. I was there on Sunday with the =
manager of the=20
salt river site stewarts. As a matter of fact I have been assigned that =
site and=20
will remove it if it is still there the next time I check on that site =
as I been=20
instructed to. (Just toss it in the trash). I know that there are 2 =
caches in=20
the white tanks that are also so on sites</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR>&gt;Also, I had the opportunity to speak to a Sergeant with =
the=20
Navajo Nation<BR>&gt;Police Department. He told me that they will not =
allow any=20
geocaches on<BR>&gt;their lands. If you are caught on their lands =
without a=20
permit you can be<BR>&gt;arrested. This is just a reminder to please not =
place=20
any caches on tribal<BR>&gt;lands.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2>The sergeant had a =
story to tell=20
about a couple of cacher that wee shot at while looking for a cache. =
When they=20
reported it to him they were sited for trespassing and told that if the =
people=20
wanted to kill them they would have.</FONT><BR><BR>&gt;It still amazes =
me how=20
much damage one poorly written and researched<BR>&gt;newspaper article =
can=20
cause.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2>While talking to other =
stewarts there=20
I found out that all Shelly has to do all day is play site stewart. =
Since her=20
present cause is geocaching STILL we need to start getting permittion =
for=20
caches. I was also informed that (forget what national forest) that the =
national=20
forest around Prescott is all for geocaching just like =
tonto.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2>BOTTOM LINE DON'T PLACE =
A CACHE WITH=20
OUT PERMISSION FIRST.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#ff0000>We will be known by the tracks we leave=20
behind</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_019C_01C2CDA6.B92D1580--