[Az-Geocaching] Our Day in Tonto revisited

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:00:14 -0700

> During this seminar I was able to speak to the various instructors and
> educate them about our hobby. As a result they gave me some time to
speak to
> the group and give an impromptu presentation about Geocaching.  I
encouraged
> the members to check the website and address any of their concerns
through
> the internet. After making my presentation I had several members
approach me
> and said that they had changed their minds and do not consider it as
serious > a threat as they had been led to believe. I think I left them
with a
> positive impression.

At last, someone has been able to cross the chasm. Thank you, Ken! I
think you bring some credibility to the debate that few others here
could (for those of you who may not be aware, Ken is a law enforcement
professional as well as a site steward -- and a Geocacher).

> Since there are many unpublished archeological sites throughout the
state I
> encouraged the members of the Conservation Law Enforcement community
to log
> on the Geocaching web site to check there respective areas for caches
that
> may be placed, or near unknown archeological sites. If you happen to
get an
> e-mail from one of them requesting you remove a cache, please do so. I
> believe the majority of them left with a more positive outlook about
our
> hobby.

I hope they are creating accounts so that they will be able to email the
owners of caches that are cause for concern. We're always going to have
newcomers, people who don't read this list, etc., who could place caches
where they shouldn't be.

> Also, I had the opportunity to speak to a Sergeant with the Navajo
Nation
> Police Department. He told me that they will not allow any geocaches
on
> their lands. If you are caught on their lands without a permit you can
be
> arrested. This is just a reminder to please not place any caches on
tribal
> lands.

Unlike National Parks in Arizona, where someone may yet get permission
to place a cache, tribal lands are not public lands. Sometimes people
talk about trying to get permission from tribal leaders, but they
overlook the fact that everyone who wants to hunt that cache would also
have to get permission. It ain't just the Navajos, it's every Indian
nation in Arizona. We've got a few bazillion acres left where we can
place caches, as long as we adhere to the rules.

> It still amazes me how much damage one poorly written and researched
> newspaper article can cause.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena

"Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one." A. J.
Liebling