[Az-Geocaching] What does Garmin's "geocaching mode" mean?

Scott of TeamShack teamshack at comcast.net
Tue May 26 08:00:07 CDT 2009

There is more to the Garmin Geocaching mode than just the ability to copy
gpx files straight to the unit.

In Garmin units that do not support GeoCaching when you upload the
waypoints, that is all you get, the waypoint itself.  In the GeoCaching
mode, geocaches uploaded from a gpx are sorted separately from other
waypoints that you may have.  GeoCaching mode also gives you more
information about the cache, you can read the description, logs, and hint on
your GPSR so you don't have to print out all the papers with this
information.  Two of the models of GPSR, the Colorado and the Oregon, also
allow you to create log entries on the unit that make it really easy when
you get home to upload you finds including the log entry.

I own the Colorado and am VERY pleased with it's performance. I also love
the GeoCaching mode, in the past, I printed reams of paper with all the
caches I had yet to find in the local area, and carried the binder in the
cachemobile with me.  Then I switched over to using a PDA to view all the
cache information.  This saved tree's but was a pain to keep everything
charged all the time.  Now with the Colorado, I have everything I need to
geocache in a small simple unit.

The only complaint I have with the Colorado is that battery life is not that
great.  I have overcame this issue by purchasing 3 sets of high capacity
l-ion rechargeable batteries.

Hope this helps!

Scott of TeamShack