[Az-Geocaching] Interloper in the Midst

Jon Griggs griggs at softhome.net
Tue May 20 18:57:28 MST 2008

I'm hoping everyone doesn't mind me crashing in on your list server for
a short while.
Basically, I didn't get very far with reading the GC.com forums
sub-section for this area and this appeared to be the place to be.

I'm a cacher out of Northern Indiana who will be staying in the area for
about a week.
The specific area will be northern Tucson, however I will have free time
and a rental car.

I have two trains of thoughts / questions I wouldn't mind asking.

The first is a no holds barred - treat me like a newbie cacher question.
What do I need to know?
(This is worse than bringing a newbie up to speed, as they at least know
the area they are caching in.)
Basically, I'm from the land of mud up to the ankles, poison ivy, ticks,
mosquitoes, and extremely flat lands.
The usual obstacle to a cache is deciding which side of the body of
water I need to be on to get to the cache without getting wet.
The perils here have to be different.
Or instead of telling me, is there a resource I can be pointed to?
[Especially if I'm the 1000th bonehead to ask this...]

The tone above is as if I were going to the other side of the world.
Please don't take it wrong...
It's easier to ask the question as if I have no knowledge and get the
entire answer than act like I know what I'm getting into and get half of
one.
It must be the Eagle Scout and Engineer in me that makes me this way....

The other question is the age old traveling Geocacher's question.
What are the hidden beauties that would be a shame to skip while in the
area?
(I tried the search feature of this e-mail list, but with no results.)
Please remember the constraints:
- Rental car
- Alone
- Hiking is allowable. [Actually preferable.]  A few miles will not kill
me. (Not sure about elevation changes, though  :-) )
      While not in grand shape, I have put in 14 miles in one day.
(Split over multiple segments, flat land, any other disclaimer that
applies. :-P ).
- While I can't say I haven't turned into a number hound (I would uses
another name locally), I would trade a few good hides with great
locations over ten times as many park and grabs.
- Based on my experiences in my home area, I expect to find the type of
caches I enjoy outside of the city. [I have been wrong on this before,
though...]

If you are still with me, thanks for reading...

I appreciate any help you can provide,
Jon Griggs
AKA FloatingSpots