[Az-Geocaching] Er? Halloween RadioActive Event

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Tue Oct 9 10:45:11 MST 2007

Rather than getting into a battle over this, I'll answer once with what I
know and leave it at that.

There is some backlash to the cost because in the past it was free to
attend, and at least in the case of the first HR that I helped organize,
very few donations hit the table to even begin to cover the cost of food
that was grilled, along with other items and materials used to create the HR
environment.  Subsequent years?  I don't know because I moved to BigSky
Country and circumstances haven't yet worked in my favor to be able to make
it down there.  I stated last week that if those who are complaining only
knew what it cost to put one of these events on, attitudes might change a
bit, but so far they haven't.

The other backlash as I understand it is due to the fact that this is no
longer a Geocacher ONLY event.  It was opened up to the masses, presumably
for reasons I can understand, but don't necessarily agree with.  Posting on
craigslist and azcentral the event information is counter-productive to
sentiments regarding the event, which has always been about cachers.  Rather
than keeping it at the caliber it has always been at, perhaps it could have
been scaled back instead, or simply not posted to those sites that turned
this into a perceived commercial cache.  While opening it up to the masses
is a way to bring new cachers into the fold, I don't agree with the way it
was done.

But seriously though.  The folks taking (in some cases repeated) shots
really need to grow up and perhaps take the time to understand why there is
now a cost to attend, whereas in the past there was not.

Personally, I think mistakes were made on both sides of this.  First, by
turning it 'commercial' by publishing information about outside of gc.com,
and then those who reverted back to 4th grade immaturity in their stabs at
the turn of events.

Unless there are some changes (not sure what or how exactly), I suspect that
this year will be the final HR.

Brian

Team A.I.

  _____