[Az-Geocaching] 2007 Arizona CITO Coin

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Tue Feb 20 13:04:49 MST 2007

Here's my take on this.

As I've understood it, Jake originally created this artwork more as a
personal gift to me, intended as thanks for getting the Adopt-A-Highway
program started and for the CITO Always cache itself.  But he took my
positive response and turned toward making a coin design out of it instead
once the realization hit that it would make a great coin design.  At at that
point, he bounced ideas off me and I gave him input, which he then took into
consideration when working up the design.  Not once did I interject and make
this to be all about me, and never intended to either.  It really wouldn't
have made any difference to me if CITO Always had been adopted by someone
else and still used as a reference, but since others agreed to keep an eye
on it for me; I maintained ownership of that cache.  In fact, the only way
this coin design references me is if one goes and looks up the information
for the cache that's 25' from the sign and notices who the owner of the
cache is.

Again, as stated on the page and my initial post, there have been no steps
taken beyond the artwork being created.  It was posted merely to gauge
interest in the coin.  If the design proceeds to a coin being produced, I
suppose the reference could be changed to address a region rather than a
state.  It's not THE Arizona CITO coin, but A Arizona CITO coin.  I didn't
catch where you got that reference at first, but see it posted on the actual
page for the coin concept.  I think that was more of an error in word choice
than anything, because I always saw it as a great design and one of the more
appropriate geocoins to go into production, given the mass influx of coins
that have absolutely nothing to do with caching.

If there is desire for some sort of official Arizona CITO coin, then great.
I still think this one should be made, but under a different banner of
sorts.  At the same time, aside from the coordinates, nobody else outside of
Phoenix would really know (or care) that the sign used as the basis for the
artwork was in the metro Phoenix area, except for those cachers in-state
aware of its existence.  For all the rest, for all they know the sign could
be in Lake Havasu, or Willcox.  It became a design that identified with
Arizona Geocachers in general, but references a specific cache that is still
active.  When I filled out paperwork to get that section adopted, I made the
name a general reference to give props to ALL Arizona Geocachers, but just
as easily could have said "Phoenix Geocachers" or "Central Arizona
Geocachers," but I wanted to give recognition to everyone in general.
Fortunately, the area has required less maintenance over time because
cachers who attend those clean-ups do a wonderful job and the trash didn't
have a chance to pile up anymore.  That doesn't go to say that other CITO
events aren't just as good, because I know for a fact they are.  The
original intent of the program I applied for has been marred by ill feelings
of unknown origin.  Last I checked Dirk, you and I had a pretty good
relationship so I'm surprised at how you jumped on this issue and took
offense.

Please keep in mind the original intent I had when applying for the
Adopt-A-Highway program.  Location of the sign should be irrelevant.
Remember what the sign itself reads.  Also, if you read the coin page
itself, any extra funds (if any) that came from its production would go
right back into highway cleanup events, or could even be diverted to another
CITO effort somewhere else.

Brian

Team A.I.

  _____