[Az-Geocaching] Only an altoids tin!!

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:09:33 MST 2007

The geocacher who placed the altoid tin says he "wished others had told him
this was not a good place to put a cache". I can only laugh at that
statement. The gc.com site clearly states that you must get permission to
place a cache on private property!!! Did he not read that little tidbit of
information? Typical of alot of urban cache hides. Is he now trying to put
it onto the geocaching community as a whole? Making the whole game/community
look bad?

I do agree though that law enforcement over reacted... kinda like the little
Boston cartoon 'bomb' scare thing.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that he is relatively new to the
game and this is most of what he has seen so far... a bunch of altoid tins
behind stores and on electrical boxes and the like. So, he might have
thought it was totally ok to hide a cache like this... even though, as I
mentioned before, he should have gotten permission to place it in the first
place.

I do like this quote though: "I've discovered that I really don't like urban
caching. I'd rather do it in the woods. That's where it's really fun," he
said.

As of the past month and a half now, I have not found an urban cache hide. I
dont mind going a week without finding a cache anymore. But I have decided
that I only want to do rural area caches. Caches that require a hike to get
to or maybe a nice 4x4 drive or maybe just a drive by cache placed in a
beautiful location way outside the city limit signs. Or maybe caches placed
in small towns is ok too. Basically, caches placed with the location in
mind. I have been using the DGP geocaching site lately to pick and choose
caches to find.

The past month or so, I have found a much greater enjoyement for the game
again. It feels like the old days of caching 4 or 5 years ago when I first
began. I can't say I will never find an urban cache again. But I am
carefully picking and choosing which ones I want to find.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind