[Az-Geocaching] Who's at the top?

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 14 08:28:31 MST 2006

>From: Brian Casteel <>
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Who's at the top?
>Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 07:45:39 -0600
>
>http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/index.html

Wow. I didnt know about that website. Finally, a ranking that is accurate.
It shows I have 2239 finds, which is correct. Looks like I am ranked 405 in
the world. I remember at one time I was well inside the top 100 in the world
ranking. But I dont really follow the numbers anymore and havent looked at
any numbers stats since the azgeocaching.com site stopped tracking them.

I see the top finder has something like 17,000 cache finds!? Must be retired
as I dont see how anyone can find that many caches and still carry on a
normal work week and whatever other duties life brings. I have been caching
since the rather early days of the game and I cached pretty hard at times. I
found over 200 in one month and while that was big numbers at the time, that
could probably be done in 2 days in some places (like LA area). I am self
employed, so I can sort of set my own schedule. I still dont see how I could
ever have had the time or the money to have 17,000 finds, today, 4 years
later. That would require alot of traveling around the region or even the
country to areas with high cache density. I have 2239 finds currently, which
is about an average of 40 caches a month since I started caching on January
6, 2002. Put that into perspective and think of how much of my life would be
totally consumed of geocaching if I were to have been able to find 17,000
caches in those 4 years. Geocaching has only been a game for about a
year/year and a half before I started and the top team, Team Alamo, has been
caching for 9 months less than me (started in Oct 2002)! That is amazing. I
looked at their profile and it looks like it is an honest retired couple.
Still, that many finds is ALOT of traveling and geocaching! My hats off to
them. That is quite an achievement!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind