[Az-Geocaching] Quick update and Question about Flagstaff

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:34:48 MST 2006

>From: "Apryl Clark" <aprylc74 at hotmail.com>
>To: "Bill Burkett" <listserv at azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Quick update and Question about Flagstaff
>Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:58:14 -0600
>
>Awesome the Fisher Point Trail cache sounds nice....thanks!
>
>Any other suggestions out there?

I think I remember the Fisher Point Trail. I think it is SE of Flagstaff,
just outside of town? (I cant look at the cache page as the owner of the
cache apparently feels his/her cache is only good enough for a chosen few).
The cache description, as I remember, says to park at a trailhead. But just
follow your GPS and you will have no problem taking your big truck to within
a short hiking distance of the cache. I think I parked like a 1/4 mile away
or even less. The road ends at a bunch of boulders blocking the road. It is
a nice walk thru the woods though. There are LOTS of caches along the road
going in to the area... including a bunch of urban style hides around the
Country Club area.

Another great cache to consider is the Red Mnt Cache. It is NW of Flagstaff
about 30 miles. Very easy hiking trail that you can even take a stroller on.
Very little elevation. However, once near the cache, it is all rock
climbing. Lots of fun! Now, the cache might be gone as me and FlgAZ looked
for it on Tuesday and we could not find it. But the views and all the colors
of the rocks and such make it a VERY memorable hike. Highly recommended...
and who knows, maybe you will have better luck than us at finding it! We
looked for nearly 3 hours (although I must admit, I was having so much fun
climbing around on the rocks in between searching duties!).

Of course, closer to town and in town.. Flagstaff has LOTS of great caches
along the FUTS (Flagstaff Urban Trail System). The trail system is a nice
one. Much of the trails are in settings that make you feel like you are out
in the wilderness and not really in the city. I have hiked many, many miles
of FUTS and I would say it is all very easy to walk a stroller on. Too many
caches along this trail system to pick out one or two. But plenty of them
along there. Also there there several caches in Buffalo Park. All with nice
trails leading to each of them. Park in one spot and bag probably 6 or 7
caches.

.... and while you are up there this weekend... the Route 66 Festival is
going on. So you can cache and enjoy a great festival as well. I will be up
there tomorrow to check out the car show (200 cars expected). The temp in
Flagstaff is forecast to be about 70 degrees. It is currently 64 degrees in
Flagstaff at 1:00pm! It is about 79 degrees here in Sedona right now, under
mostly sunny skies! :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind