[Az-Geocaching] Latest Sedona Fire

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 16:37:05 MST 2006

Decades ago, I worked in an area that was near where a hot shot crew was based in Arizona. We used to play volleyball in the early evenings with them, before the fire season got underway. They are a breed apart from the rest of us. Tough, mentally and physically. Nice people too. I have a lot of respect for them and what they do.

Roping The Wind <arizcowboy at hotmail.com> wrote:
  But I am seeing all the action around town. I have a tremendous amount of respect for those hot shot crews. They are the toughest men and women around! They work 16 hour days (or more) in hot daytime temperatures (in the 90's and even pushing 100 degrees around here lately) and even hotter conditions near the fires. They are wearing nomex fire suits that do not breath. They are lugging around lots of heavy equiptment on their backs. They do this for extremely long periods of time. Those that work the night shifts will then get some much needed rest and sleep.... in a tent during the hot afternoon on the football field of the local high school. They have unbelievable strength and mental and physical abilities. They did a report on them on the news and they showed a local kindergarten class making cookies to give to the hot shot crews. I'm not generally an emotional guy but that news report made me sad and brought a tear or two.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Arizona's Geocaching Resource
http://www.azgeocaching.com

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898