No subject

Thu Jan 26 07:58:19 MST 2006

hat=92s very bad juju to do that.  ADOT has strict rules that govern the=
 Adopt-A-Highway program, requiring that volunteers stay >10=92 away fro=
m the road when picking up trash (of course you can get a little closer =
to pile it up), and median cleanup is expressly forbidden for obvious sa=
fety reasons.  Sport Trac/k is asking ADOT to set the hoops up for him, =
but I envision some strong resistance in approval.  That=92s what Arpaio=
=92s chain gangs are for.  I=92d really rather not read a news story abo=
ut how a Geocacher was smeared across a chunk of asphalt while at a volu=
nteer cleanup event.
 =

Take it for what it=92s worth, but with an attitude that would involve r=
ecruiting others with the purpose of violating a policy put in place for=
 the safety of those who choose to volunteer their time, is tantamount t=
o blatantly ignoring No Trespassing signs in order to make the short tri=
p to get a cache, or taking an ATV into a wilderness area.  Of course yo=
u aren=92t supposed to, and remember that while anyone is out there clea=
ning up trash, you are representing Geocachers, as evidenced by the 2 ve=
ry large signs proclaiming this.  I originally signed up for the program=
 not only to help maintain a degrading section of highway, but also for =
the PR it brings Geocaching, hoping that in some small way, it would hav=
e an impact on TPTB in creating favorable policy toward Geocaching as a =
whole when that time came.  I=92d also hate to see one of my former coll=
eagues (aka Highway Patrol) pulling up and writing citations to cachers =
for being in the median.  For safety sake, should it be permitted, a cru=
iser may very well have to block a lane of traffic to create a buffer fo=
r anyone over there once permitted to do so.
 =

I would urge anyone considering circumventing the policy on safety to se=
riously reconsider it given the potential ramifications.
 =

Brian
Team A.I.
****************************************************************** =

----__JWM__J59e2.1cfbS.3f54M

&nbsp; The state has safety standards for those who clean, or work on th=
e highways.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Apryl, we don't know how often the median is cleaned.&nbsp; The media=
n along our stretch of highway has a lot of traffic going to the nearby =
dumps...I'm sure it doesn't take long, after a&nbsp;cleaning, for the me=
dian to collect debris.</P>
<P>Rand&nbsp;</P>
<P><STRONG>*************************************************************=
******</STRONG></P>
<P><STRONG>From Apryl:</STRONG></P>
<P>I do understand that however <STRONG>I think that due to the fact tha=
t ADOT can't seem to get the&nbsp; median cleaned it also reflects badly=
 on the Geocachers</STRONG>. It's not like there's a sign that proclaims=
 that ADOT is responsible for the median only the fact that we're respon=
sible for the trash pickup. </P>
<P>And I understand that Sportrac/k is pursuing this avenue with ADOT bu=
t <STRONG>in the year I've been helping to clean the median it has gotte=
n worse and worse.</STRONG> This just coicides with the fact that ALL th=
e freeways in the Phoenix Metro and surrouding city area's are going to =
heck. </P>
<P>Apryl<BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #=
a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11px; FON=
T-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<P>
<HR color=3D#a0c6e5 SIZE=3D1>
<BR><STRONG>From Brian=97Team A.I.:</STRONG>
<P></P>
<META content=3D"Microsoft SafeHTML" name=3DGenerator>
<STYLE>
=2Eshape
{;}
</STYLE>

<STYLE>
</STYLE>

<STYLE>
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times Ne=
w Roman';}
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times Ne=
w Roman';}
span.EmailStyle18
{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}

</STYLE>

<DIV class=3DSection1>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">That=92s very bad=
 juju to do that.&nbsp; ADOT has strict rules that govern the Adopt-A-Hi=
ghway program, requiring that volunteers stay &gt;10=92 away from the ro=
ad when picking up trash (of course you can get a little closer to pile =
it up), and <STRONG>median cleanup is expressly forbidden for obvious sa=
fety reasons</STRONG>.&nbsp; Sport Trac/k is asking ADOT to set the hoop=
s up for him, but I envision some strong resistance in approval.&nbsp; T=
hat=92s what Arpaio=92s chain gangs are for.&nbsp; I=92d really rather n=
ot read a news story about how a Geocacher was smeared across a chunk of=
 asphalt while at a volunteer cleanup event.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nb=
sp;</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Take it for what =
it=92s worth, but with an attitude that would involve recruiting others =
with the purpose of violating a policy put in place for the safety of th=
ose who choose to volunteer their time, is tantamount to blatantly ignor=
ing No Trespassing signs in order to make the short trip to get a cache,=
 or taking an ATV into a wilderness area.&nbsp; Of course you aren=92t s=
upposed to, and remember that while anyone is out there cleaning up tras=
h, you are representing Geocachers, as evidenced by the 2 very large sig=
ns proclaiming this.&nbsp; I originally signed up for the program not on=
ly to help maintain a degrading section of highway, but also for the PR =
it brings Geocaching, hoping that in some small way, it would have an im=
pact on TPTB in creating favorable policy toward Geocaching as a whole w=
hen that time came.&nbsp; I=92d also hate to see one of my former collea=
gues (aka Highway Patrol) pulling up and writing citations to cachers fo=
r being in the median.&nbsp; <STRONG>For safety sake, should it be permi=
tted, a cruiser may very well have to block a lane of traffic to create =
a buffer for anyone over there once permitted to do so.</STRONG></SPAN><=
/FONT></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nb=
sp;</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><STRONG>I would u=
rge anyone considering circumventing the policy on safety to seriously r=
econsider it given the potential ramifications.</STRONG></SPAN></FONT></=

<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nb=
sp;</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Brian<BR>Team A.I=
.</SPAN></FONT></P>