[Az-Geocaching] Cacher has cops called and detained by Home Depotemployees

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:02:17 MST 2006

When I was in Washington I was detained while trying to get a cache at IKea.
An hour or so later I had the officers on the phone with groundspeak. The
cache was archived while on the phone with the officer and I was told never
to return to that location.

 Turns out the cache owner never spoke to the store and the cache was placed
in an alley where drug deals were common, so saying I was looking for a
geocache (A small container with a log sheet as part of a game) only helped
the officer believe I was looking for hidden illegal objects.

 I was looking at a very large fine, but luckily the people at groundspeak
took care of the situation and promised the officer no caches would be
listed at the location again.

 I have heard the flip sides of this arguement enough times to know that
people are going to argue either way.

"IF I can play frisbee I can hide a cache"
"IF you place it without permission it is illegal"

 Groundspeak has covered themselves fairly well I would say by reading the
guidelines and the cache submission report. When you place a cache, you tell
groundspeak that you have permission. If you lied, then it is between you,
the cacher who gets detained and the enforcing agency.

 Last I new, groundspeak basically tells property managers to call the
police if someone is trespassing.

 It is amazing how many caches we have walked away from because of the 'NO
TRESPASSING' signs near the cache container.

 It is sad but many cachers believe they have the right to go anywhere they
want to and do not want to talk to the land manager or owner because they
know the answer would be no. So instead of getting permission or working out
an agreement, they lie and say they recieved permission.

Please make sure to obtain permission from the landowner or land manager
and  read the guidelines for reporting a cache prior to placing your
geocache.

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate
permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache.

Anyone who does not have permission to place the cache is simply wrong in my
opinion. (Yep, its just an opinion and it is mine so it is not worth arguing
about)

This is the log that I love ever since it was first shown to me:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21328&log=y#322202

It is even funnier to look at the logs and forums from that time of all the
people who stand up and shout that nobody has a right to tell us not to
place a cache somewhere.

 Cachers will continue to get in trouble with land managers and more land
managers will ban geocaching. Least we do not live in some east coast states
where we have to get signed permission for ever cache we place.

 Someday .. maybe.