[Az-Geocaching] Re: April Fool's Caches

Team Sprocket scottsparks1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 13:48:07 MST 2005

For Gale, and anyone else who was interested, here is my log from "Da Bomb!"
since the link will no longer work. For anyone not interested, just pretend
it's a diatribe about Jeeps or Montana weather or some other off-topic topic
with a whole weeks worth of 'quoted' text attached. That should make you
feel right at home. [;)]

For those who don't know, this was an April Fool's joke. The pretense was
that the cache contained a bomb hidden on a remote island within a heavily
guarded military base that was surrounded by razor wire, landmines, a toxic
waste dump, alligators and other such obstacles.

Here's my log:

"I hijacked a plane and demanded they fly over the base ''or I would give
them a million dollars.'' (Sure, the official US policy is ''We don't
negotiate with terrorists!'' but they don't have anything in the policy on
how to deal with idiots.) The pilot thought I was bluffing so I started to
write out a check then and there. He quickly turned the plane toward my
destination and when we were over it, I jumped out, D.B. Cooper style and,
during my freefall, tried to remember if he used a parachute. Luckily, I had
my seat cushion from the plane and, according to the flight attendant, it
could be used as a flotation device. Good thing I landed in the water just
off-shore. When I came to, I got out my trusty Swedish Army Knife and,
rather than risk cutting myself on the razor wire, I proceeded to dig a
tunnel under the fence using the 'shovel' blade. Once through the fence, I
used the 'dangling pocket watch' blade and hypnotized the alligator in the
ditch. When I got to the toxic dump area, I used the 'noseplug' blade and
held my breath really hard while I tiptoed through to the other side. (Lucky
for me, after years and years of practice, I can hold my breath for up to 15
seconds at a time.) After each 15 second interval, I ran back to the
beginning and took another breath of fresh air. Using this method, I was
able to traverse the toxic waste dump in almost no time. Of course, I had to
do all of this in my stocking feet to avoid tripping any errant mines so it
took a little longer than I had hoped. I had a little trouble actually
locating the cache until I listened for the ticking of the clock. That was a
dead give-a-way. (As such, I think the difficulty for this cache should be
reduced to half a star, or maybe even a third of a star. I wouldn't go as
low as a fourth of a star, though.) When I did find the cache, I took all of
the contents and replaced them with exact replicas. That is, except for the
twinkies. I ate them; not because I was hungry but because you should never,
never, never leave food items in a cache. After replacing the cache, I
reconnected the red and blue wires that some idiot had left undone and I
started plotting my escape. Just then, a humvee full of MP's drove up and
asked me what I was doing there. I froze for a second and figured I would be
thrown in the brig but then I remembered to say, ''Nancy sent me,'' and they
said, ''Okay'' and we all had a good laugh and the base commander, whom I
had never met, showed up and we had tea and scones and talked about the good
ol' days and had a great time. Eventually, I had to go though, and the MP's
said I could catch a ride with a group of Navy Seals that were just getting
ready to leave the base. I accepted the offer and, although they smelled of
fish and they mostly just layed in the back of the humvee on their stomachs
and balanced balls on their noses, I appreciated the ride and was eventually
able to understand the short barking commands they used to talk to each
other."

-- Sprocket