[Az-Geocaching] Map Quest Help

Bill Tomlinson billtomlinson at qwest.net
Thu Mar 31 09:07:03 MST 2005

Howard,  Here's a bit more detail.  On the MapQuest.com home page there
is a "MAPS" icon at the top right corner.  Click on that to get to the
maps page.  About half way down on the left are options.  Click "Map by
Lat/Long".  You have two choices: Degrees, Minutes, Second or Decimal
Degrees.  In either case, remember that because we are in the Western
hemisphere, Degrees Longitude must be entered as a negative.  FYI, some
sites/software let you enter N/S/E/W, others make you specify + or -.

To convert coordinates, just remember that there are 60 minutes in a
degree and 60 seconds in a minute.  Then the math is easy.

Degrees, Minutes, Seconds:   60 * .909 = 55    60 * .663 = 40

    Latitude:      D = 33   M = 17   S = 55
    Longitude:    D = -111   M = 18   S = 40

Degrees:    17.909 / 60 = .2985    18.663 / 60 = .3111

    Latitude:      D = 33.2985
    Longitude:    D = -111.3111

Hope that was helpful,

CacheLess