[Az-Geocaching] Fountain 4WD Trip

Mark S sublette1 at cox.net
Sat Feb 26 21:45:46 MST 2005

Had a great day today. Left the 60 southbound east of town. Don't really
know what the road was because it wasn't marked. Had we followed it to the
end it would ahve led us through Box Canyon and out the south end.
Unfortunately, the road gets seriously narrow about 4 tenths of a mile from
the cache we were going after "Box Canyon Book Cache". There are some rock
obstacles on either side of the road and to avoid body damage we decided not
to try to get through. At this point in the trail you are driving the creek
and the rocks were wet and slippery. We had already traversed a few
obstacles where one of the members of our party had to spot us over tham.
Our Libertys met the task of the trail flawlessly. I think probably better
than my Wrangler would have. Once I have some lift and lockers it will
handle it fine.

My point form this is two fold. First, the area is gorgeous. All the rain
has turned it into a lush green paradise. My second point is, ther are
trails in the area where UAVs(Urban Assault Vehicles) don't belong. The
rocks are a good reason why we didn't see a single BMW, Lexus, Acura,
Cadilac or Lincoln. We saw one Pathfinder. It had suffered body damage.
There are plenty of trails where two wheelers with clearance can go. Just
make sure you go with a seasoned and responsible 4 wheeler. They may be the
best ones to get you in and out without leaving some paint on the rocks.

We found one cache and had a great time.

Markphxaz