[Az-Geocaching] Upcoming CACHE EVENT

Jim Scotti jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU
Thu Feb 10 15:59:03 MST 2005

There's a short 4WD canyon called Box Canyon NE of Florence which might have
some places to camp in or near it.  The south end approach has an area that
could be promising before you get into the canyon itself.  A 4WD sidetrip or
even a several mile hike from there would be quite pretty.  We took our '99
Trooper about halfway through before we parked before a really rocky and
difficult 4WD stretch and walked another mile or so, but saw a 4x4 train
coming down the canyon, crawling over rocks I wouldn't have dreamed of trying
to get the Trooper over.  The middle of the canyon is narrow (and therefore
dangerous if there were any flash flooding) with nearly vertical walls - very
pretty.  We'd have to do some research on possible camping areas there,
though, I'm not too sure about that since we were only there on a day trip
and about 3 years ago too.  Looking at a topo map, I don't see any obvious
camping sites....

Jim.