[Az-Geocaching] Mosquitos found w/West Nile virus

EvilFISH listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 07:30:59 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C43A4E.9149A7C0

Get mosquitoes under control
Mosquitoes need water to lay their eggs. The best way to control them is =
to eliminate sources of standing water, including:

. Pet water dishes and birdbaths in which the water isn't replaced at =
least twice a week.
. Plastic containers under potted plants and flowers.
. Children's toys and plastic wading pools.
. Old tires.
. Wheelbarrows and empty garbage cans.
. Stagnant, poorly maintained swimming pools.
. Ponds in which the water is not circulated or changed at least twice a =
week.
. Leaky faucets in which water accumulates on the ground.
. Gutters and storm drains in which water collects and stands for =
several days.
. Toilets that are not frequently flushed.

In Arizona, county health departments treat standing water with =
larvicide. Unlike pesticides and repellents, larvicide is made of =
bacteria that feed on mosquito larvae. Counties also use =
mosquito-larvae-eating fish and carbon dioxide traps. As a last line of =
defense, counties fog with pesticides to control the number of adult =
mosquitoes in an area.

To report mosquito problems in Maricopa County, call (602) 506-6616. =
Information also is available from the Arizona Department of Health =
Services at www.hs.state.az.us/phs/oids/westnile/ or by calling (602) =
364-4562. The department also has established two hotlines: =
1-800-314-9243 and (602) 364-4500.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20