[Az-Geocaching] Mummy's Surprise Rating

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 01 May 2004 12:11:17 -0700

The Terrain rating of a cache is something that SO irks me sometimes!!!
Trisha summed it up well on the rating of a cache on the low end of the
scale. If it is literally a wheelchair accessible cache, then a 1.0 is in
order for terrain. If it is on a trail, totally flat, and wheelchair
accessible right up to it, but out of reach... then, it could be given a
1.5.

On the other end of the scale....

I have seen caches that are your typical 'on top of a mountain' and hiking
and climbing caches that have been given 5's before. If I recall, I think
Bronco Butte was given a 5. A cache cannot be given a 5 unless it requires
special equiptment to reach (ok, that is a  whole nuther' debate!). If you
need rock climbing clear or scuba gear, etc that could go a 5.0 on terrain.
So, with that said... the absolute most difficult hiking/off road/wilderness
cache can only be given a 4.5 max. If you use the rating sytem on the main
site, it can give a 4+ to a cache that requires bushwacking, no trail, and a
lengthy hike... even though it may be a flat hike. I just kind of used my
own thoughts when I rated my cache (after using the system of course). I
rated both my RTW caches with a terrain of 4.0. The system suggested they
were both 4.5. I didnt feel they were 4.5 simply because there are other
caches out there that are more difficult. In my opinion, I think Lost Ark
was a more difficult climb/hike than either of my caches. I think Newman
Peak would also be a much tougher hike (although I havent done that one
yet). I can name a couple of other caches that are more difficult than mine.
So, I rated them a 4.0. A 4 is still a high terrain rating and shows that
they are difficult caches still.

I have done hiking caches that were easily under 1 or 2 miles, that were on
totally flat ground, but where off trail that were given 5's! The owner of
the cache probably figured it was the toughest hike they ever made and so
rated it with the 5 thinking (in their minds) that is was a really difficult
cache, when actually, when compared with others.. it is a peice of cake.

Bronco Butte was hidden by a someone who landed up there in a helicopter. He
thought it was going to be the toughest cache ever. Truth is... there is a
trail that goes up there!!! :) Granted, it is a tough hike and not for the
weak... but, there is a trail. Still, it would warrant at least a 4 on
terrain. I think RTW-1 and 2 are tougher since there is no trail up those.
Bronco Butte has a decently defined trail and so that alone makes it a bit
easier hike. Once on top, you have a fairly flat hike to the cache. Lost Ark
cache (now archived) required a fairly lengthy hike (on fairly flat ground)
just to get to the base. Once, there... you still had 0.8 mile to go... but,
it was all up!... and I mean UP!!! I think that cache took longer to reach
the top than (in terms of the GPS not wanting to click off mileage!) any
cache I have done to date. I had teamed up with Frobro Goose and Frobro
D-Dubs for that one. We did it in the middle of July. :)

As far as the difficulty rating goes... Bronco Butte was WAY over rated.
They gave it a 4. Diff rating is about how hard it is to find the cache. It
was basically laying out in the open (there is no place to really hide it up
there in the immediate area). Not that anyone is going to mess with it way
up there! (I wouldnt think anyways).

interesting side note on Bronco Butte... I just looked at the cache page and
Team Ropingthewind is still the last team to find it! We found it way back
on June 9, 2004 (another attempt at capitol punishment... doing it on a hot
summer day!). There was a no find log on April 11, 2003... but, they didnt
really 'not find' it. They didnt make it to the cache site and ended up
turning back. It is an interesting log... read it! I cant beleive no one has
even attempted that cache in two years!!!!! That is a very beautiful hike
with some SPECTACULAR scenery along the way and at the top. I highly
recommend the hike. Unless the cache is not there anymore, anyone interested
in a really good workout and some awsome views.... I highly recommend doing
this cache.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Mother’s Day is May 9. Make it special with great ideas from the Mother’s
Day Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04mothersday.armx