[Az-Geocaching] GPS cell phones

Scott Sparks scottsparks1 at mchsi.com
Mon Dec 27 23:03:56 MST 2004

We just bought 4 new cell phones for our family and here is what I have
learned about their ''GPS'' capabilities.  They are not GPS receievers
as we (as geocachers) would term them.  The use something called
''aGPS'', or Assisted Global Positioning System.  No, you can't use one
to go geocaching (although I'm sure it won't be long before cellular
manufacturers offer an integrated unit that will do that.)   What it
does is allow you to call emergency services (like 911) and, if they are
equipped with the proper aGPS hardware/software, they can track your
location and send help to you ASAP.  That is the reasoning behind it, as
I understand it.  Of course, like all technology, the potential for
abuse is always present.  The good news is, there is an option in the
phone settings to turn it off.  For those of you concerned about the
government being able to track you down, if they have a reason to track
you down, they probably already know where you are. ;-)

On a related note, I recall ShadowAce recently having to call 911 after
a mishap attempting the Razorback cache.  I just wonder if ''aGPS'' was
involved or if he just told them his coords over the phone.  Any
comments, Dirk?

-- Sprocket