[Az-Geocaching] GPS cell phones

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Mon Dec 27 12:16:44 MST 2004

My understanding is that the cell phone has a GPS receiver in it that works
out its coords on the planet from the satellites - just like your GPS
receiver. Those coords are then transmitted over the cell phone network to
the nearest cell phone tower. Your cell phone provider can then pass on
those coords to the 911 system when needed.

If triangulation was used then there would be no need for the GPS system.

Look forward in the future to walking past a restuarant and getting a coupon
code for that resturant immediately sent to your cell phone....sigh...

Andy