[Az-Geocaching] Yahoo! News Story - Bush Prepares for

Rand Hardin rhrdn8 at juno.com
Sun Dec 19 12:54:17 MST 2004

William (Tek465m),

I mentioned the information that I heard about the "outlawing" of CB and Ham radio use because I know that many geocachers use them.  When I heard this information on the radio, I found it hard to believe.  I remember thinking that it would be impossible for the FCC to stop millions of people from broadcasting over their radios.  The radio host from the program was also surprised to hear this information because he's an avid Ham operator.

I did go back into the archives of the radio show and found two possible programs where I may have heard this information.  Both guests from the programs are connected with intelligence gathering networks.  Because the programs were each three hours long, there was a lot of information discussed.  So far in searching the web sites of the guests, I haven't found any information about this subject, but I'll keep trying and hopefully trace the source.

William, I agree with what you said: "Try not to believe everything you see. Question everything, the only downside is you'll learn something new."  Here's a brief that you may find interesting; it's entitled "HOW TO ANALYZE THE NEWS AND WHAT GOES ON AROUND YOU," by Joel Skousen, a political scientist, author and publisher of a newsletter entitled, the WORLD AFFAIRS BRIEF.

http://www.joelskousen.com/hotissues_news.html

Rand Hardin
(RandMan)

Rand Hardin wrote:

I understood that CB and Ham operations will be "outlawed" soon,
regardless of the terrorist threats. Also it was mentioned that television broadcasts over antennas will be fazed out within a year...that all TV broadcasts will only be received over cable, and require HDTV.  I'll try to find the program and post the information here if I find it.

William Shipitalo replied:

I think you're starting to get in the realm of urban myths now!  There's way too much equipment out there and not enough people in FCC or law enforcement to enforce such an act.  Ham radio is still very much alive and well. Just not as mainstream as it used to be. The garmin Rhino, I believe was inspired by ham radio's APRS system.

The only thing you have that has a hint of realty is changing over to HDTV, but it will still be broadcast over the air and only if they can get over 70% of all tv's to be HDTV capable. It was orignally thought to be 2007 for the turn over but the FCC is in limbo about that now.

Try not to believe everything you see. Question everything, the only
downside is you'll learn something new.

Team Tek465m