[Az-Geocaching] Yahoo! News Story - Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

Rand Hardin rhrdn8 at juno.com
Fri Dec 17 13:22:40 MST 2004

>From Rand Hardin:

I've been searching the archives from the radio station trying to find who the guest was who discussed the GPS, Citizen Band and Ham shutdowns.  I understood that CB and Ham operations will be "outlawed" soon, regardless of the terrorist threats. Also it was mentioned that television broadcasts over antennas will be fazed out within a year...that all TV broadcasts will only be received over cable, and require HDTV.  I'll try to find the program and post the information here if I find it.

RE: Terrorist alerts...see "LA Times" article titled "Terror Threat May Be Mostly A Big Bluff."

http://fairuse.1accesshost.com/news2/latimes289.htm

Rand (RandMan)

>From Brian Casteel:

I haven't heard of it, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say it would be directly related to the shutdown of the GPS signal in order to increase the difficulty by which terorists could communicate to coordinate a strike.  While typing this, I look down at the nifty little plug-in in Firefox that shows the George W. Bush Idiocy Level (i.e., terror alert put to reality), and chuckle as I read the status of 'mindless' (yellow) and look to this as just another way to take freedoms from us in the name of protection.  Yay.

I don't see citizens band/HAM radios being shutdown in the form of
outlawing them.  State/Federal emergency management agencies conduct
frequent testing of the systems with amateur radio operators to help the
gov't maintain communications in the event that our primary systems are
taken out.

Brian
Team A.I.

John Stata added:

....Yet another reminder that Roosevelt was right -- fear is our real enemy.

>From Rand Hardin:

I believe I heard something about the GPS shutdown on a radio program about a month ago.  I also believe I heard that the operation of Citizen
Band Radios and Ham Radios will also be shut down.  I'm curious: Has anyone else heard anything about the operation of these two transmission
systems being outlawed?

Rand (RandMan)