[Az-Geocaching] If It's Not a Find, What Is It Then?

David Thompsen dthompsen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 06:09:04 MST 2004

This is my log from "AurorArborealis", which you just finished.  It started out as a DNF and became a found log, while still retaining the history of the cache.

I agree with your point of view about not erasing logs 100%  I just handle it a little differently, and if a cache owner wanted me to have my find and my DNF on his page, I'd cheerfully comply.

--Dave

---
12/3

If at first you don't succeed... try try again. My luck lately seems to be better on 2nd go arounds. Found after 10 mins today, excellent cache combining elements of mental and physical ability. SL.
12/2
After staring at this cache page periodically over the last couple of months, it finally made perfect sense. Went to visit in the afternoon and could only search for a few minutes due to time constraints and an overzealous rent-a-cop in the area. Very clever puzzle, now for the hide! This cache is very close to lunch break recon, so I hope to log it soon.
---

Scott Wood <scott at myblueheaven.com> wrote:
At 10:26 PM 12/7/2004, you wrote:
>That's an easy one.
>
>I use a "Note" for situations just like this. The only situation you've
>described is the 4-time attempt... I would log a DNF there. What I've
>done in the past is edit the old DNF note and update the date and log to a
>'find' when I eventually succeed.

This has come up before on this list, but I am sure that there are many
here who were not around for many of the discussions.

I completely disagree with you when you say that you edit your note to a
find. I believe that you should leave all of the logs intact. Those logs,
whether they are finds, no finds, or notes, are part of the history of that
cache, and thus are part of that cache itself. If I couldn't find a cache,
and I later did find it and simply edited my could not find log, then the
fact that I did try to find it, and failed, is lost. The real history of
that cache is that I failed once, and did find it the next time.

So far, in the time we have been caching, we have had two of our logs
deleted by the cache owners. One was a find, and one was a could not
find. It upset me far worse on the could not find log than it did on the find.

Arizona's Geocaching Resource

http://mail.yahoo.com