[Az-Geocaching] If It's Not a Find, What Is It Then?

David Thompsen dthompsen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 22:26:54 MST 2004

That's an easy one.

I use a "Note" for situations just like this.  The only situation you've described is the 4-time attempt... I would log a DNF there.  What I've done in the past is edit the old DNF note and update the date and log to a 'find' when I eventually succeed.

Otherwise a note is reasonable... you're giving the cache owner a status update if there's something weird going on near the container, or letting 'em know that "Hey, I know where it is, I just can't finish up right now"

But what's wrong with posting a DNF instead of a note?  There's no shame in it.  Look at Sprocket.   :)

Team Tierra Buena <teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net> wrote:

st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
I think it’s safe to say that the consensus on this list is that you’ve got to sign the log to log the find. But if you don’t get to sign the log, what then?

Say you get to the cache site, you can physically see the container, but you can’t get to it because it’s surrounded by bees? Or say you can physically hold the container in your hands, but you’re too weak and/or too stupid to figure out how to open it, and there’s no indication on the cache page that there’s any kind of trick or puzzle to get the cache open? Or say you go back to the same cache site four times before you finally find the container?

Almost everyone seems to agree these situations are not “finds”, but are they “not finds”? Do you log them as NFs or do you consider these cases where you just can’t log the find yet?

All opinions welcome, but for the record, we have logged NFs in all three of the above situations. You can find our bee log at Titan Missile Museum, our “couldn’t get it open” at Tubular-1, and our *three* NF logs at Holiday Cache (we have also eventually logged finds at the last two of those). So this is not exactly a hypothetical exercise for us. Our opinion is on the cache pages, but how would you have handled these situations? Log ‘em or leave ‘em? Or something else?

(Please don’t say “claim ‘em”.)

Steve

Team Tierra Buena

Arizona's Geocaching Resource