[Az-Geocaching] RE: people 'Finding' a cache that wasn't there

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Tue Dec 7 13:24:53 MST 2004

And everyone probably thought I was sleeping on the job...for shame.

Unless the criteria is being met for a cache with a logbook (virtuals
being an exception, but with their own set of rules), you don't get a
find.  If the cache container was at the center of a beehive and you were
afraid to go for it, but because you saw the honey dripping from the lid
you think you have legitimately 'found' the cache.  By following a
dictionary definition of 'find', perhaps.  But there are supplemental
rules for Geocaching that states you log your find when you log your find
in the logbook.  Finding velcro might be one thing, because it shows that
the cache at one point was there, and can be handled on a case-by-case
basis.  To my recollection, I have never logged a find on a cache like
that, nor would I.

This veni, vidi, sidi, or whatever it is, I disagree with even more now
that I have learned that the caches aren't logged in the logbook, but are
online.  Using  such a 'log' online tells the cache owner nothing, but
then again, neither does a simple 'TFTC' or 'found it'.

Geocaching is an adventure you can make your own, but there are certain
guidelines one should really follow when caching.  When you skydive, do
you go without a parachute?  If you go white water rafting, do you leave
the raft on shore?  While both of these are far different from leaving a
pen in the car and not going back to get it, the point is that common
sense should prevail.  For those who lack this capability, the guidelines
are there to help guide them along the way.

Even with CITO Always, credit comes in the form of a picture for the find.
 The separate ammo can is OPTIONAL ONLY, and is stated as such.  Finds
logged without pictures first get an e-mail requesting the pic to be
posted.  Failure to do so will result in a deletion of the log.  We as
cachers and cache owners don't need to play dictator, but following a
general set of rules widely accepted by a vast majority of cachers must be
the minimum.  The most important of which is simply common sense, which
too often seems to be replaced by general disregard for <insert ridiculous
excuse here>.

Brian
Team A.I.