[Az-Geocaching] Virtuals and camping out

Gale Draper listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

--0-787691238-1064958992=:56361

There are plenty of you who don't like virtuals. That is fine for you. But you are insisting virtuals be eliminated for those who enjoy doing them. That stinks. I think some virtuals have more merit than just another altoids tin or tupperware among another trashy area. I'm picky and I don't do every cache. Why can't those of you who hate virtuals leave them alone for the rest of us to enjoy?

I have a cache that I want to do this year similar to one I did last year involving the statues on Main street in Mesa. I have to incorporate a cache with it now. I think it degrades my cache. Now people will walk around, see the statues and have to drive a few miles away just to claim credit for it. I would have liked the option to keep it as a virtual cache.

All of that said, it is Jeremy's site, with his rules/guidelines. I'll play by his rules until there are other options.

Can people still get credit for the Wickenburg event if we only come for the day? My bad hip cannot do camp outs any more. Not if I want to be able to walk at all the next day.

Larry H <friared1@yahoo.com> wrote:
--- J H/TEAM 360 wrote:
I know I am not the only one who likes
> to read historical signs at the side of freeways,
> and I find them a good lesson, as well as a "find".

I thought you didn't care about 'finds' anymore? :D

If GC.com is trying to
> free up server space by eliminating Virts, they
> should begin by deleting the 150+ pages of past
> forum discussions that no one references anyway.

Sounds like a number I posted recently ;)

Seriously, while I don't mind virtuals WITH MERIT, the
game is geoCACHING (emphasis mine). The idea is to
find a hidden container and sign a logbook proving you
found it. Virtuals were designed to allow playing the
game at places that could not support a hidden
container, such as NPS land.
With all of the unique micro-containers floating
around out there, it is hard to find a place that
could only have a true virtual cache. What's wrong
with hiding a logsheet/book at an interesting site
rather than having the finder email a picture or
codeword to you? Does it really take something away
from the experience? Do you really think the finder is
going to learn something more by not logging a book
and email you instead? I don't buy that one. I've
found a few virtuals and couldn't tell you what I
'learned' at any of them. I haven't had the desire to
find out more about why the monument or marker was
placed there. I imagine most other cachers are about
the same.

=====
FriarED

Arizona's Geocaching Resource

--0-787691238-1064958992=:56361

<DIV>There are plenty of you who don't like virtuals. That is fine for you. But you are insisting virtuals be eliminated for those who enjoy doing them. That stinks. I think some virtuals have more merit than just another altoids tin or tupperware among another trashy area. I'm picky and I don't do every cache. Why can't those of you who hate virtuals leave them alone for the rest of us to enjoy? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have a cache that I want to do this year similar to one I did last year involving the statues on Main street in Mesa. I have to incorporate a cache with it now. I think it degrades my cache. Now people will walk around, see the statues and have to drive a few miles away just to claim credit for it. I would have liked the option to keep it as a virtual cache.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>All of that said, it is Jeremy's site, with his rules/guidelines. I'll play by his rules until there are other options.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Can people still get credit for the Wickenburg event if we only come for the day? My bad hip cannot do camp outs any more. Not if I want to be able to walk at all the next day.<BR><BR><B><I>Larry H &lt;friared1@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">--- J H/TEAM 360 <TEAM360WWG@YAHOO.COM>wrote:<BR><SNIP>I know I am not the only one who likes<BR>&gt; to read historical signs at the side of freeways,<BR>&gt; and I find them a good lesson, as well as a "find".<BR><BR>I thought you didn't care about 'finds' anymore? :D<BR><BR><SNIP>If GC.com is trying to<BR>&gt; free up server space by eliminating Virts, they<BR>&gt; should begin by deleting the 150+ pages of past<BR>&gt; forum discussions that no one references anyway. <BR><BR>Sounds like a number I posted recently ;)<BR><BR>Seriously, while I don't mind virtuals WITH MERIT, the<BR>game is geoCACHING (emphasis mine). The idea is to<BR>find a hidden container and sign a logbook proving you<BR>found it. Virtuals were designed to allow playing the<BR>game at places that could not support a hidden<BR>container, such as NPS land. <BR>With all of the unique micro-containers
 floating<BR>around out there, it is hard to find a place that<BR>could only have a true virtual cache. What's wrong<BR>with hiding a logsheet/book at an interesting site<BR>rather than having the finder email a picture or<BR>codeword to you? Does it really take something away<BR>from the experience? Do you really think the finder is<BR>going to learn something more by not logging a book<BR>and email you instead? I don't buy that one. I've<BR>found a few virtuals and couldn't tell you what I<BR>'learned' at any of them. I haven't had the desire to<BR>find out more about why the monument or marker was<BR>placed there. I imagine most other cachers are about<BR>the same. <BR><BR>=====<BR>FriarED<BR><BR>_______________________________________<BR>Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like <BR>having a peeing section in a swimming pool?<BR><BR>__________________________________<BR>Do you Yahoo!?<BR>The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product
 search<BR>http://shopping.yahoo.com<BR>____________________________________________________________<BR>Az-Geocaching mailing list listserv@azgeocaching.com<BR>To edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe visit:<BR>http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocaching<BR><BR>Arizona's Geocaching Resource<BR>http://www.azgeocaching.com</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-787691238-1064958992=:56361--