[Az-Geocaching] opencaching.com

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:31:43 -0700

Well, thats the problem. It's far from perfect I know, but I haven't see
anyone come up with a really practical alternative. If I see one then I will
happily ditch my effort and support the better system. I hoped that someone
like Jeremy (who obviously has a lot of good ideas) would take the code and
work it into something even better. For example, maybe it would be best if
the cache location and style were just removed altogether? I don't know.

If you reduce the items in the list down like you have, what do you take out
and what do you leave in? For example, I see that in your list you have
omitted the single most important thing for my wife - accurate distance to
the cache from the nearest parking. Different things are important to
different people.
Also, since writing it, I've been asked by people to add a surface type of
X, a route obsticle Y, which I have done, but it shows that I thought it was
complete enough when something else doesn't think so. A simple list would
produce a lot more requests I'm sure, and it would end up as a less well
structured big list.

So, to counter the complaint that it spoils the fun (which I agree with to a
degree), I provided the option to encode the text. Now the problem becomes,
how do you decode all that text - what a chore. If you provide an automated
decoding method then you may as well not bother encoding the text in the
first place. Note that you can always generate the text and then chop out
parts you don't want.
An example off the top of my head where I don't think it will spoil the fun
is in puzzle caches. There you can work out the final location of the cache
and even if you have a description of the route, there is a lot of fun in
seeing for yourself if you correctly worked out the right pile of rocks it
is under, even if the text said "under a pile of rocks".

My view is that providing something, anything, is better than nothing, and
that is what I set out to do. I also hoped that by creating something,
anything, it would start a really useful, constructive discussion on the
subject with the aim of creating something better, but unfortunately that
didn't happen and I doubt that it really will. Maybe if more geocachers are
exposed to my current system, there will be more discussion on how to make a
better system? Remember that a lot of geocachers don't read the forums or
this list, so their only exposure might come because someone generated the
guidelines and put them on their cache page.

Regarding your PS, I think that a lot of the discussion on the gc.com forum
with regard to rules turns into a "lawyerish" (is that a word?) discussion
on the fine detail, which becomes the focus of the debate. The same thing
can happen with a tool for handicap accessibility. I think that you have to
be pragmatic and draw the line somewhere. I don't think 100% inclusion is
ever going to be possible, but isn't 80% inclusion better than say 70%?
However, an over-simplifed system might not provide any benefit and most
geocachers might not see the point using it.

Maybe I should just go ahead and create a second, simpler system like you
suggested, advertise it and see if the support is greater than the first
system...

It would be great if the members of this list would give me some guidance on
this issue - I have the ability to write the code. If you prefer to contact
me privately, my address is andy @ britishideas dot com.

Andy