[Az-Geocaching] gasoline and caches

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:54:53 -0800

>From: "Regan Smith" <buggers@mindspring.com>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] gasoline and caches
>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:51:13 -0700
>
>Here are some interesting facts about the companies
>that import oil that eventually ends up in our cars'
>fuel tanks.
>
>Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil
> >
> > Shell........................... ...  205,742,000
>barrels
> > Chevron/Texaco......... .......144,332,000 barrels
> > Exxon/Mobil..............  ...... 130,082,000
>barrels
> > Marathon/Speedway... .......117,740,000 barrels
> > Amoco................... ..........  ...62,231,000
>barrels
> > If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports
> > amount to over $18 BILLION aid to the terrorist.
> >

> > Here are some large companies that do not import
>Middle Eastern oil:
> > Citgo............... 0 barrels
> > Sunoco............ 0 barrels
> > Conoco........... 0 barrels
> > Sinclair............. 0 barrels
> > BP/Phillips..... 0 barrels
> > Hess................. 0 barrels
>
>My friend then added:
>
>A friend sent me these facts in an e-mail that was
>intended to make us all aware of the connection
>between Middle East oil, the "gas stations" that we
>fill up at, and financing terrorism.
>Here is the question:
>Can I have an effect on the dependence of Middle
>Eastern imported oil by choosing a filling station
>that does not import Middle Eastern oil?
>

>after spending a quarter of a tank on a few finds I thought I was glad
> >that I used Phillips gas.

Regan has some good stats there! I very much agree that americans should NOT
support middle eastern countries and should buy from those oil companies
that do not import. Whether it is supporting terrorists or not (I suppose it
could be), I simply don't care to support middle eastern countries.. period.
I will not say what I think about them (this isn't the place!) ;)  It costs
a lot of money in gas to go geocaching and I for one will likely be slowing
down ALOT from caching if the gas prices climb anymore than they are right
now. I personally think the government needs to step in and start regulating
the price of gas. (Heck, they regulate everything else in our lives!).

If only the large majority of americans would step up and not give in to
these price increases. War is just an excuse to rip us off. If I tried that
in the business I was in, I would be out of business real quick. I guess I
am in the wrong business! (gas stations really only make pennies off of
every gallon they sell). We can make a difference if only all americans
would step up to the plate. It is much like that thing going around last
year about not getting gas on such and such days. That would work, if only
everyone would do it. Most people just give in to it and pay it "cuz we need
it". Make a small sacrifice now instead of sacrificing your wallet down the
road!!!!!

I purchase probably 90% or more of my gas from Phillips (Just ask Regan!).
Another way I can save gas and cache is by grouping caches together around
the valley while out on business or something. I try and go for them while
on the way to or from a job or something. (which is why my first find days
have pretty much ended!). I used to just jump in the truck and drive to
Tempe (from east Mesa) just to get one new cache that pops up! Now, I just
go for them when it is convenient.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

PS... CONGRATS to Team HuntAZ on their find on our cache RTW-1!!!!!!! They
are the third team (since the cache was placed Sept 15, 2002) to find this
cache and the first team since Nov 2002 to log into it!!!!!! Way to go
yall!!!